can't play game??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 Ghz Intel core i7, 4GB, intel HD 3000, Lion
I've just downloaded splinter cell conviction from the app store on my new mac book pro. when i start game it starts ok but then goes to a screen with a few stuttery shadows and i can't see any options or game menu where i think i should see... heres my graphics spec... Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB on a DC i7 13" Macbook pro... any ideas? thanx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to their web site, your machine does not meet the minimum spec requirements for the graphics adapter in order to play the game. Your HD 3000 does not have enough memory nor is it listed. LINK

However, I think that it might work if you increase the graphics memory. The only way you can increase graphics memory on that machine is by increasing your system memory from 4 GB to 8 GB. The HD 3000 will then borrow up to 512MB rather than the 384MB that it's borrowing now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And with 40% of purchasers giving it only a two star rating, is it worth the hassle?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats not really what you want to hear after forking out £1400 on a laptop...

Reaction score
not quite the same tho...

What's not the same? Every computer made today, Mac or PC, uses the exact same hardware. Same CPUs, GPU, RAM, hard drives, screens (actually most higher end notebook Win PCs are using better screens then MBPs are), DVD drives, you name it it is exactly the same. The only difference is in the price they cost and the operating system they use.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah and as seen as OS is about 90% of your computer experiance thats whats not the same.. Ive used both systems for a while and Microsoft is garbage

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
thats not really what you want to hear after forking out £1400 on a laptop...

Your machine is not designed as a heavy gaming computer. Its an entry level machine designed for day to day tasks, and light gaming. Splinter Cell is a much more intensive application to run, than say, Angry Birds. That said, if you turn down the resolution/graphics details of Splinter Cell, you may be able to play it.

Then you should of spent that money on a PC notebook which you would of gotten a lot more for your money.

Shootist, you should know full well by now that this argument has been beaten to death. The OP has decided to buy a MBP, and they are asking for help. If you are not willing to help the OP with their problem, then don't post. Keep opinions like this one to yourself in future.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanx for the help, as far as music production using pro logic is concerned it runs like a dream. even video editing is smooth and problem free. Thats the reason i bought it so I'm happy

Reaction score
Your machine is not designed as a heavy gaming computer. Its an entry level machine designed for day to day tasks, and light gaming. Splinter Cell is a much more intensive application to run, than say, Angry Birds. That said, if you turn down the resolution/graphics details of Splinter Cell, you may be able to play it.

Shootist, you should know full well by now that this argument has been beaten to death. The OP has decided to buy a MBP, and they are asking for help. If you are not willing to help the OP with their problem, then don't post. Keep opinions like this one to yourself in future.

Sorry but my opinion is just as valid as anyone. If that doesn't suite some so be it.

I use a PC to run windows as my main system and a Mac to run OS X as my main system.
And When needed I use a VM to run a few Win programs on the Mac and a VM on Windows to run Linux.
I certainly wouldn't buy a Mac to run Windows as the main system.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry but my opinion is just as valid as anyone. If that doesn't suite some so be it.

I use a PC to run windows as my main system and a Mac to run OS X as my main system.
And When needed I use a VM to run a few Win programs on the Mac and a VM on Windows to run Linux.
I certainly wouldn't buy a Mac to run Windows as the main system.

I'm sorry but i don't understand how any of that has anything to do with what I've said? I never said I'm running windows on my mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Sepherence

Did you read my post above? Try upping the system memory in your machine and then see if the game will play. Adding another 4 GB of memory will be beneficial even if it doesn't help to play the game.

Let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been checking out upgrade sites, looks like the next step. I think ill order up two 4s and let you know how i get on. thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Unfortunately, this is one of the issues with the App Store. System requirements aren't always listed in the game details, and many of the big name games aren't ported very well. It's always a good idea to read the reviews of them before purchasing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that was the problem, i think i should get a refund because of that! I'm currently downloading rage, it looks like my mac has the readys...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.