Ram issues with my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.2Ghz
I purchased two 2gb 200 pin sticks of ram for my black macbook.
Exact purchase.

Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook Model KTA-MB667K2/4G

Cool right? The macbook can have 4gb tops of ram.Go from the standard 1gb of ram(two 512 sticks). To 4gbs.
I purchased it off newegg.com
Said it was compatible. And I got a great deal. 55 dollars. So I jumped in and bought it.
I go to put the ram in. Fits perfectly and all.
Put everything back together. All happy. Go to boot up my macbook.
And nothing. So I yell a big ***. and fiddle with it. Heres what I've figured out so far.
I put in the original ram. Boots fine. Two 512mb sticks.
Put in just one 2gb stick of ram and nothing happens. No boot.
Put in a single 2 gb stick of my new ram. (1 x 2gb) And a single 512mb stick.
Works perfectly fine. Computer sees it as 2.5 gb of ram.
Then put in the 2 x 2gb sticks. Nothing again.
So if anyone could help me. I beg of anyone that could figure this out for me.
:Shouting:
So I have no clue what is going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I think you've answered your own question. One of those 2gb sticks is bad.

Troubleshooting 101:

Take one of the 2gb sticks, put it in one slot with 512mb stick. Boot? Yes? Stick probably good. Now switch them. Boot? Yes? Probably good stick.

Take other 2gb stick, same 512mb stick and put it in the same slots as the first test. Boot? No? Bad stick. Switch them. Boot? Yes? Bad slot. Not good.

Either way it's more likely one of the sticks is bad. Best thing is to send whole lot (of 2x2gb sticks) back for warrantee replacement. Upgrading a Macbook's RAM is kind of a binary operation. Either works or doesn't depending on the quality of the RAM.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.2Ghz
Sighh...

Okay so I did what you recommended.
Both sticks are fine. Both slots are fine.
As I said.
If I just keep one 2gb in with nothing in the other slot. It wont boot.
If I put in the other bit of ram. My 512 with the 2 gb together.
(1 x 2gb)+(1 x 512mb) It boots up.
I put in (2 x 2gb) To be the max of 4 gbs. It doesnt recognize it. No boot. :Grimmace:
So I can so far only have the max of 2.5 gb of ram from my purchase.
Anything else you could think of?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Still smacks of a bad module to me. Depending on how the bad module is being addressed, it fails POST.

Never been a fan of Kingston. I would recommend returning and buying from either Crucial.com or OWC. Either way you go, if there are any problems, they have excellent customer and technical support.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.2Ghz
I decided to return the ram.
I belive I figured out the reason behind it
The ram is PC2-6200(Which I purchased)
and I need PC2-5300:Confused: :Evil:
So I will follow you up on your ideas for Crucial.com
And will purchase this ram which has been double checked to be compatible with my computer :Cool:
4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB062LL/B Laptop/Notebook, CT744383 from Crucial.com

Thank you for the new website. Wish newegg was more explanitory. Thought I only needed 200 pin ram.(never bought before)

Will post again on how this turns out in this forum and will message if worked out fine. Hopefully it will this time.
Happy to join such a great site. :)<3
Apple fanatic in the making.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

If your MacBook is a mid 2007 model, it can only use a maximum of 3 GB of memory. Apple says it can only use 2 GB.

I know you said it's a 2.2 GHZ model which would mean it was at least a late 2007 model or early 2008. The max capacity for those models are 6 GB with Apple saying it's 4 GB.

So... either your machine can not utilize 4 GB of memory or as others have told you, one of the modules may be bad or marginal.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.