Conflicking answers to viruses w/Parallels & Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
My question was originally, can you still get a virus if you are running parallels on a Mac?

I got two answers.

1) From an Apple Store sales person~ No y ou can't. because even t hough you are running windows it still has OSX running in the background at the base so viruses can't infect it. But if you run bootcamp, you have to shut down OSX and are just running windows which allows viruses to get through.

That made sense.

But from this link I get:
2) http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/06/23/23pogues-posts/

#13 writes: “Can you elaborate briefly on the virus/malware risks associated with running Windows under Parallels?”
The virus/malware risk is identical to running Windows on a PC–that is, it’s a huge pain in the rear.
The BIG DIFFERENCE is that if you have Parallels and it gets infected, you can just hit the Delete key. Poof! Your whole Windows installation is gone, and you can fire up a fresh one.
–Pogue
— Posted by editor

Any thoughts on what is right? :confused:

Reaction score
Any virus will only infect and affect the windows partition only. They will have no effect on OSX. OSX can't read or understand any virus written for Windows and doesn't know what to do with it making it useless in the Mac OS.

Here's an example:

1. In parallels or bootcamp you download a virus that deletes your hard drive. Your Windows partition would be wiped clean. Mac OSX would remain unharmed and unaffected and operate as usual.

2. If You download the same virus while working in Mac OSX then the only risk would be forwarding the virus to other Windows PC's. Mac OSX would remain unharmed and unaffected and operate as usual.

Am I wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Correct - a windows virus can damage/delete/infect files running in the parallels virtual environment. Files in your mac OS X environment should not be affected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I think you may have misinterpreted what the sales rep was saying:
1) From an Apple Store sales person~ No y ou can't. because even t hough you are running windows it still has OSX running in the background at the base so viruses can't infect it. But if you run bootcamp, you have to shut down OSX and are just running windows which allows viruses to get through.
The virus won't affect OS X, even if Windows is running via Paralells gets one. In other words...yes,the virus will affect and infect your Windows install(Paralells or BootCamp), it just won't do any harm to your base installation of OS X.

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
D3v1L80Y said:
I think you may have misinterpreted what the sales rep was saying:
The virus won't affect OS X, even if Windows is running via Paralells gets one. In other words...yes,the virus will affect and infect your Windows install(Paralells or BootCamp), it just won't do any harm to your base installation of OS X.

So iMacs are sold two ways that I was interested in. One with windows and parallels pre-installed and one without them and you have to buy the software yourself. Which is easier and better to use to re-install after getting compromised? I don't know the form of the pre-installed software packet that you get with the computer. Make sense? Not sure if I explained what I meant correctly. I don't know if the pre-installed software is a complete bundle so you have to re-install OSX also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
iMacs do not come with Parallels pre-installed. You would have to buy that software and a licensed version of Windows.

Reaction score
soul60s said:
So iMacs are sold two ways that I was interested in. One with windows and parallels pre-installed and one without them and you have to buy the software yourself. Which is easier and better to use to re-install after getting compromised? I don't know the form of the pre-installed software packet that you get with the computer. Make sense? Not sure if I explained what I meant correctly. I don't know if the pre-installed software is a complete bundle so you have to re-install OSX also.

I didn't think you can buy a mac with Windows and Parallels pre-installed. If you can, I would opt for whatever is cheaper. However, all things being equal, I prefer to do my own installation so I have more control over all the install options.

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb said:
iMacs do not come with Parallels pre-installed. You would have to buy that software and a licensed version of Windows.

You can at macmall.com

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
captclose said:
I didn't think you can buy a mac with Windows and Parallels pre-installed. If you can, I would opt for whatever is cheaper. However, all things being equal, I prefer to do my own installation so I have more control over all the install options.

I checked out the price of an iMac with 1gb RAM and pre-installed parallels and windows pro and the price of iMac with 2gb RAM and it not installed. They are pretty compatible if you shop around to find cheaper ram or cheaper windows. I have found both so I guess I can go either way. I just didn't know about the pre-installed windows and parallels being re-installed after a virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's not really pre-installed. You're paying for the privilege of MacMall installing it for you. Apple doesn't ship them that way.

I can't imagine it's cheaper to have them put it on there for you. Just buy it yourself.

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb said:
It's not really pre-installed. You're paying for the privilege of MacMall installing it for you. Apple doesn't ship them that way.

I can't imagine it's cheaper to have them put it on there for you. Just buy it yourself.

I am going to do just that. macconnection,com has the iMac with rebate for 1844.00 and someone on here was nice enough to put a link for memory for 105.00 each for 1gb so I can buy two of them and somewhere I found a full version of windows for 92.84 and parallels for 60.99. So it is cheaper for me to buy separately. Now for the hard part. Waiting for it to come in the mail. As a typical mac user, I want it now.LOL
Also, if I get it from macmall.com it is the same price as macconnection.com with rebate and I can get parallels for $10 with rebate so that would be cheaper. I just didn't like being put through to a foreign country for support and then being pushed really hard to buy right then.

Does macconnection farm out to other countries for their tech support or sales?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.