Slight electrical tingle from Imac

Reaction score
All of a sudden my 2005 Imac G5 started giving me a slight electrical tingls from the imac and all connected items, ie: heaedset new metak keyboard, external hard drives! Anyone got any ideas other than replacing the guts one at a time?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure your AC outlet is properly grounded and that the iMac G5 plug has not been altered to defeat the polarization. You can buy an outlet tester at Home Depot or Lowes for less than $10. Very easy to use.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In addition to chsag's advice:
Are the iMac power cords a) permanently wired into the body of the iMac, or b) is the power cord removable?

If a), then the power fault should be traced from the wall socket to whatever other power supply unit is being used, eg. a power board; then on to the connections inside the iMac. However, I suspect a fault in one of the power cables. Test the wall socket with another device or appliance to see if you still get the 'tingle'.

If b), then try a different power cable, but, if that were the cause, then only the iMac would be affected - unless the rogue current is being transferred to the external devices via their connecting cables, eg. USB/firewire.

Whichever, get it seen to a.s.a.p, before the problem gets worse - or serious.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.