Microsoft Word Problem

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2011 Office for mac updated to 14.1.0 and I use it often.
The problem I'm having though is that after I save and close a document, in no matter what format I save it as (I've tried them all) when I open it, it creates another copy of it, every time I open it. And if I open the copy, then it creates a copy of the copy. So it's causing problems for me every time I use it.

I need help as I'm a student, and I don't have time to waste having to delete all these copies of these documents.

Oh and I've tried uninstalling and installing it again, so it isn't something to do with that. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Reaction score
never met this problem,but can u sure that your file is read & write format?

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm sure in that when I open it again, I can write on it from where I saved it?
They do open and are capable of writing on them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Where are you trying to save it? Are you sure you have permission for that folder or drive?

OP
B
Reaction score
It doesn't matter where I try to save it on my mac, it'll do this everywhere - on memory pens, documents folder, desktop etc.
And I definitely have permission in all of these, it's my mac, so I have access everywhere on it.

But it's not a problem saving it, it's a problem when I open it again. I think its something in the settings telling it to make a copy, because it doesn't do it to the same document on the college mac. I just don't know what.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MS Word Preferences -> Save -> Remove the check from the box that states "Always Make a Backup Copy".

Warning.... If you turn this off, make sure you have the Autosave feature turned on and set to a short interval. If you should ever experience a crash and have neither of those options set, you could lose all your work.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm afraid it isn't that either.
I went to the preferences, and it already wasn't ticked. I ticked it and closed it, saved something, tested it and then went and switched it off and tested again, just to see if it would make a difference, but it made no difference.
It wasn't that :(

I know it probably seems like I probably didn't describe it right, but this is definitely whats happening to my documents.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm afraid you lost me. I don't know of any other way an Office document would be duplicated without that option being set.

Do you have any other software installed that could be duplicating those files? A program called "Forever Save" will do exactly what you described.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It appears that you are selecting "Open a copy" rather than opening the original document. Every time you do that, Word will create another copy of the document.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's doing that itself though, when I click on the original, it opens the other one whether I like it or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
You're saving your file as Word Document Stationery. This creates a template, which can then be used over and over and over again.

When you save a file, pull down the Format option and save it as a Word document. That should (I'm hoping) solve your problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.