Nothing in my iTunes

Reaction score
Ok here we go!

One year ago I bought an iphone, and used iTunes on my HP laptop to sync it.

In August I got an iPad and used the iTunes on my HP laptop to sync it.

Two weeks ago I got an iMac. I did everything the iMac asked me to do as far as signing up for everything and entering in my info and so I thought everything was fine. Until last night when I went on my iMac to edit a particular picture from my iPhone which I thought was now supposed to be on my iMac too. But none of my iPhone pics are. Neither is any of my music from my iPhone on my iMac.

When I went to physically sync them, I got a message that the stuff on my iPhone would be replaced by the stuff in my iTunes. Which is nothing. Tere s nothing in my iTunes on the iMac.

Seems odd to me that an HP laptop syncs better with my apple phone and iPad than an Apple iMac.

Any suggestions? I am becoming frustrated with my 1,500 computer. And this is on top of the issues I'm having with lightroom not importing and some other things.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Generally, I don't think you can't transfer music from a device to your Mac without 3rd party software, unless it was purchased from the store on a device.

You need to transfer your stuff from your HP laptop to your iMac using a portable hard drive. Or you may be able to connect the pair via USB, don't know, never done it.

The reason your HP laptop 'syncs better' is because the music was on your laptop before you had your iPhone/iPad.

Edit: With regards to the picture, you should just be able to go into iPhoto and import the photo from your iPhone.

OP
slewi30
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! Let me clarify: I never bought music online until I got the iPhone last year, so there was no music on the HP laptop until it starting syncing with the iPhone. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
It's easier to transfer your music and photos using ethernet from you laptop to your mac and then register them in with itunes then it probably would be to find 3rd party software to transfer. My guess is that it would be the same with lightroom (sorry never used it before - but there is a photography section in these forums and they probably would be able to direct you better). You could also see if 'image capture' (included in mac - should be in your applications folder) shows your ipod when you connect it and you also can use that to copy pictures (and other content?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
Hi
Firstly i am assuming that you have "authorised" the mac in iTunes , Ok so lets say that you have done this already. now try either plugging in your i phone or sync it through the cloud assuming that you have set the cloud up. As far as i am aware you can only have one machine ie mac or hp that you can keep your music on so it may even require you to de authorise the hp if you have no luck. I would recommend backing up the iTunes library to either disc or hard drive first just to be safe. Good luck

OP
slewi30
Reaction score
Hi f1mac! I don;t know if I did that. I did everything the iMac wanted me to do when I first got it. Is there something else I should do? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
Hi, It might be worth checking so just go to store in the toolbar and near the bottom of the drop down you should find "authorise and deauthorise " make sure that you click authorise this computer. good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.