Macbook Upgrade Guidance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 Intel, 1 GB Memory
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to Mac Forums. I want to maximize the performance of my 2007 era Macbook. It's running Tiger 10.4.11. My machine is the 2.16 Intell Core 2 Duo with 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I've read I can only increase my memory up to 2 GB and that upgrading to Lion 10.7 wouldn't be wise due to this, so I intend to go with Snow Leopard 10.6. My confusion arises with the Snow Leopard upgrade. Apple recommends the expensive "boxed set" to facilitate the upgrade. I've read elsewhere that this is not necessary and that it's just a shameless money-grab by Apple.

What do you recommend...and thanks, beforehand!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Although Apple never intended it so, you can upgrade to Snow Leopard using just the £/$29 disc. I've done it with two of my Macs and it works fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 Intel, 1 GB Memory
Although Apple never intended it so, you can upgrade to Snow Leopard using just the £/$29 disc. I've done it with two of my Macs and it works fine.

Thanks, MightyGem. I was told that some of the iLife features didn't work well without the "boxed set" thing, but I don't use them, anyway. Did you notice any problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Did you notice any problems?
No.

I upgrade my Intel Mini by installing SL onto a clone on an external drive, played around with it, updated whatever needed to be, and then when I was happy cloned it back to the Mini. That way I still had a usable Mac if the upgrade didn't go right.

I didn't upgrade iLife but I don't use the Mini as an everyday computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.