Trouble booting from Snow Leopard installation flash drive

Reaction score
Hi guys, here is what I am working on. I have a macbook pro running Leopard (10.5.8). I am updating to a legitimate copy of Snow Leopard. I'm not installing from the discs, though. I made my flash drive a bootable disk, and I'm trying to install from the USB drive. I'm pretty confident that I did it correctly, but I am still having trouble installing.

This is a brand new 8 gb flash drive. Using Disk Utility, I changed the drive to GUID Partition Table and formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then I restored my Snow Leopard .dmg to the flash drive. Everything seems to be going smoothly at this point. I clicked on "Install Mac OS X" in the newly created bootable drive, and after going through the next few windows it started installing. The progress bar increased to about 7%, which took probably five minutes. After this, it stated something along the lines of "installation will continue after reboot," and then rebooted itself. When OS X started back up, it was like nothing had happened. No changes, no continuing installation, it was like the installation hadn't begun at all. I tried a second time and the same thing happened: partial install, reboot, then nothing but regular startup. The USB Snow Leopard Install Drive does show up in the list of bootable drives in the "Startup Disk" portion of System Preferences. Even when I select it as the startup disk and restart, OS X just boots normally almost like it's ignoring my direction to boot from the Snow Leopard install drive. When I hold "alt" during startup to select the drive to boot from, only the regular Macintosh HD is presented as an option. I don't understand why it would show up in System Preferences>Startup Disk, but not show up when pressing alt at startup. I noticed in Disk Utility that the "Owners Enabled" option was set to "No," so I used Terminal to change that to "Yes," even though I'm not sure it makes a difference at all. I named the USB Drive "Snow" and entered the line 'sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Snow' in Terminal to do change owners enabled to yes.

So this is where I am stuck. From what I can tell, I think I created the bootable usb drive properly, but I can't seem to boot from it and running the install off of the drive while already logged into OS X halts at about 7% and reboots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just stumped at this point.

Thanks for your help.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have a couple more pieces of information I wanted to throw out there. After attempting the install, where it reboots mid-install, but never resumes installing, a locked boot.efi file appears on the USB drive. If I'm understanding the boot process of the mac properly, shouldn't this be the file that allows the drive to be recognized as bootable? I believe EFI is the equivalent of a pc bios?

Anyway, another thing that I am noticing is that the small green "activity" led on the USB drive (the one that lights up every time it is accessed) does not light up during the booting process or the optional boot screen. Is it possible that the computer just isn't even powering the USB ports during bootup so it isn't recognizing the drive is even there?

OP
E
Reaction score
Obviously no one cares, since I haven't received any replies to try and help, but for resolution's sake I wanted to post that I figured out the problem. The macbook doesn't recognize the physical USB drive itself during boot up, so even though the SL file was restored to the drive properly, it never got a chance to work because the macbook wasn't able to see that the drive even existed while booting. It only recognizes the drive once OS X is running. I restored the dmg to an external hard drive that is externally powered and it fixed the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have a legitimate copy of Snow Leopard use the disc. If you have copied someone else's disc you should check if the SL disc is in fact a model specific DVD which will work with that precise machine onkly.

At $39 buy your own SL DVD may be the simpler solution.

Reaction score
i have the same problem with my mac even with the external hard drive and the same thing happens, any suggestions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.