Help! My iMac doesn't read discs and I can't eject them!

Reaction score
I put in a disc and it didn't read or anything. When I pressed the eject button, nothing happened. I'm running Vista with VMware Fusion and it reads and ejects it just fine. Also, it's one of the new iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome!!!

Check to see is the disk is being read on Vista within VMware....
Otherwise open iTunes... If it shows up there... eject it there.

You can also reboot while holding the left mouse(wired) button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What kind of disc is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Why didn't Apple just stick an emergency eject button on the back of the computer? Oh because there are lots of ways of ejecting a disc!!

1) Here goes - the best one, install the optional EJECT MENU

In the route directory of your Mac OS drive open the folder System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double click the file "Eject.menu". You will now have a permanent EJECT option in your menu bar

2) Restart with the EJECT button held down (I haven't checked this one)

3) Restart with the mouse button down (as shown above)

4) In a terminal window type "drutil list" this will display a numbered list of currently mounted volumes then type "drutil tray eject 1" replacing the "1" with the number of the volume to eject

5) Mac Pro - Press firmly against the drive front and push downwards then press the eject button with a long slim object.

6) Boot with 'command', 'option', 'O' & 'F' into open firmware then type "eject -cd"

7) Run 'applications/disc utility' and select then eject the volume.

Oh I seem to have run out of ways but way number one should be done by default. With this you will no longer have any problems.

Reaction score
I noticed the sme thing on my new 24" iMac 2.8ghz. Most DVD's read fine but a couple ie Pursuit of Happiness didn't show up on the desktop and wouldn't eject. It showed up in Disc Utility and was ejected thru there. Wierd thing is the DVD Player app launched but the movie wouldn't play. I tried the couple of DVD's that didnt work on the iMac on my Macbook Pro and they worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Done...and thanks!:D Awesome tip.....

1) Here goes - the best one, install the optional EJECT MENU

In the route directory of your Mac OS drive open the folder System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double click the file "Eject.menu". You will now have a permanent EJECT option in your menu bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPod
Having tried for the past hour to eject a disk I believed to be jammed I have realised that in my stupidity I forgot to eject a disk before performing an EFI Firmware update. Now it seem that it does not want to give me back my disk.

I have tried all of the methods that cowasaki kindly listed and none seem to have worked. I tried to boot into Firmware but it does not want to let me for some reason.

Can anyone possibly shed some light on this for me please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.