• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVI to DVD burn

Reaction score
I am new to Macs and was wondering what programs I should use when I have a AVI file and need to burn it to a dvd, now I dont no if I can just burn an avi file and it will play on a dvd or not if so please let me no so I can just burn that but if I have to convert it what program should I use and what what program can I use to burn it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If you have ilife with your mac, then use idvd that works very well, or there are plenty of other 3rd party apps out there too.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
A lot will depend on how the .avi file was made. Not all avi files are the same, as it is really just a container for the files that make up the video.

I have avi movies in iPhoto, from a friends digital camera, that I can import into iMovie6HD and iMovie9 and then burn to make a playable DVD using iDVD.

I recently had 9 hour long avi movies. I manage to make dvd of 6 using iMovie as above, but for the last 3 I had to experiment converting them to different formats before they would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Burn is one of those 3rd party Apps and its absolutely free. Works great every time and yes u can watch a DVD once Burned with Burn :)

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
I get most of the avi files are movies or they use to be mp4 and I convert them with Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6 and then I can send them to my PS3. What I want to do is I have movies that are avi files and I need to burn them on a disk to take to work for a Christmas party so people can watch them. These were dvds and just got them to avi I do not have any other files just avi. Will burn still work if i put a blank DVD in and burn my avi file to it and it should work on any dvd player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Will burn still work if i put a blank DVD in and burn my avi file to it and it should work on any dvd player?

Yes it will. Once the DVD is in the slot and you hit the BURN button, Burn will then convert the file 1st. It will stop then ask if you want to burn which you do. It is a 2 step process but works well.

Best i can give is give it a try. Make sure you have the Video tab clicked though. Bigets mistake a lot of people do ... They burn it data and wonder why it doesnt work lol

20101219-r89kexxfcjpscwng52iqyfcr3r.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks I will give it a try. What do you guys think about Roxio Toast anything work looking into? Idk what it really does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Toast is a great App to have if you want to spend some $ ... One of the best paid Apps out there. I had RT9 and upgraded to RT10 when it was released.
Have a look at Roxio ~ Toast Homepage and it will give you a overview on it.
But for free Burn does the Job ...... I actually have used Burn the last 5-6 times i have burt to dvd/cd ....
Toast has so many more features but have a look at the HP as there is too much to write here and is totally worht it if you do a lot of burning and such

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.