Cannot install Applications DVD

Reaction score
I have just had to install a new HD to my Macbook Pro (13.3", new Spring 2011). I have installed OS-X with no problem and the machine works perfectly, but I get "installation failed" when I try to install the iLife applications DVD. No reason is given.

The original HD was 320gb Hitachi with a label saying Apple firmware was installed; the replacement was "generic" WD 500gb.

I ran a complete in-depth hardware check as provided on the Applications DVD and it found no errors.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What type of DVD is the iLife applications? Is it a store bought DVD or is it a gray device specific DVD?

OP
P
Reaction score
It is the second grey device-specific DVD that came with the machine, the first being the OS-X DVD.

OP
P
Reaction score
To put my problem another way, do Apple impose any restrictions on the brand of replacement HD that you use? If they insisted it had to be bought from them then I could understand they might put some sort of electronic flag on the disk that no other HD would have. But it that were the case then surely I wouldn't have been able to install OS-X and run the machine successfully?

Alternatively, do they do any form of check that the machine is as originally supplied before they permit the supplied Applications disk to be installed?

I really am struggling for an explanation here, let alone a solution. And as I'm not in the USA or any other civilised place, I can't just "pop in" to an Apple store.

Do Apple provide any on-line or telephone service enquiry facility? I've not been able to find one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
To put my problem another way, do Apple impose any restrictions on the brand of replacement HD that you use? If they insisted it had to be bought from them then I could understand they might put some sort of electronic flag on the disk that no other HD would have. But it that were the case then surely I wouldn't have been able to install OS-X and run the machine successfully?

Not that I have ever seen. I had replaced the HD in my Mac Pro and a previous MB and a MBP and have never had a problem installing the gray disc iLife that came with my purchase.

[/quote]
Alternatively, do they do any form of check that the machine is as originally supplied before they permit the supplied Applications disk to be installed?
[/quote]

The only check I'm aware of is that the gray disc matches the machine type - like an iLife and OSX disc for a Mac Pro wouldn't install on a Macbook, etc.

Do Apple provide any on-line or telephone service enquiry facility? I've not been able to find one.

Well, if you have Applecare you should (based upon the age of the computer) still have phone support - here are the Apple phone numbers:
Contacting Apple for support and service

According to the Applecare page for Mac:
Apple - Support - AppleCare - Mac and Apple Display

It does cover how to questions on iLife which to me would include reinstalling when there is an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Recently I had a similar problem with a customers iMac. The first 10.6.x DVD installed normally. Configured, then attempted to install the apps DVD. It would repeatedly fail. The DVD's P/N matched the iMac it shipped with, and there were no visible defects on the DVD surface. It was OOW, the only quick solution was to install the retail iLife and update. I can only assume it was a DVD defect of some kind. You're not the only one this has happened to.

OP
P
Reaction score
I don't have Applecare and the machine is out of its one year warranty. So does that mean I'm on my own with absolutely no support from Apple?

What does the retail iLife cost and how does one get it? I had a look at the Apple Store and drew a blank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
iLife is sold on the App Store now, and it is individual pieces, not a bundle like it used to be. So you'll be searching for iPhoto, iMovie, etc on the App Store instead of iLife.

As for why it isn't installing, you got me. It should install no problem since it is the disk that came with your computer. Hard drive brand doesn't matter, at least for MacBooks (Pros).

OP
P
Reaction score
As TechieSteve says above and I have found out for myself, I'm not the only person this has happened to, even in this small corner of the Caribbean. It really annoys me to have to pay again for something I've already bought - I've had enough of that with Windows. But I really need this software.

In case it was a problem with my DVD I made a copy of it, and that gives the same result. I wasn't expecting an issue since I've only ever used the DVD once before and it looked perfect. That was when I had to reinstall everything when the machine was brand new (from the Apple store) and wasn't working properly.

I am really very far from impressed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.