How to stop iTunes from adding songs to your library

Reaction score
Hey,

I listen to a lot of audio files but for some reason iTunes creates a new artist and album folder in my library every single time. I found out how to stop it from making a copy but listening to a list of separate songs ruins my well organized library.

Is there a way to prevent iTunes from doing this?

If there isn't, how do we change the default player for different audio formats?

Kev

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How about that first option in this pic right above the option to stop iTunes from making copies. Have you tried un-checking that?

Picture 1.jpg

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but even though they are unchecked, my library still gets invaded.:Grimmace:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, just checked on mine, had a slew of mini-movies in the library that iTunes had lost the location on - ???

Anyway, removed them all from the Library - unchecked both of those options on the Advanced tab. Still as soon as I launch one, iTunes auto adds them into the Library.

Seems to me there's some other setting that was available and is not there any longer. Will boot to my Leopard backup and check.

edit: Guess not. Am in Leopard with previous version of iTunes. That advanced option just keeps it from adding a copy of the file to the iTunes Music folder, but it still adds anything you use iTunes to play into it's Library. Had never tried not to add to Library and am currently unaware of a way to turn that function off.

you can change the default player for specific file types. Right click on one file, select Get Info, under the "Open with:" section - select your app of choice and then click on "Change All..."

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This is not a problem for me, but I can see where it may be for some.

Here is a walkthrough, a little more in depth about how iTunes works and how you can change the way it operates. Same option as I provided above, but it will provide a much better understanding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.