PB: data loss with external Firewire harddrive

M

madRAM

HELP!!!

I'm experiencing extreme problems with my PB 15" and external harddrives connected through firewire. I have a couple of harddrives (2 IBM 120GB and 1 IBM 80GB) which I connect to my PB with firewire. To do so, I need to swap the drives in the external drivebay as I only have one 5/1,4" bay.

Everything went well until recently when my PB would not find the 80GB harddisk anymore - I lost 10GB of Software and a lot of other stuff. At first I thought it was only the drive that got bad - there are quite a few rumors about failing IBM drives out there.
BUT NOW ONE OF MY 120GB DRIVES HAS NOT BEEN RECOGNIZED BY MY PB AS WELL.

I really need help with this issue as I can't afford loosing another drive with all the data on it - this one is full, I mean we are talking about 120GB of valuable data - and please don't tell me to do backups. How can I make a backup of a 120GB drive, with CDs? Nope! With DVDs? Not really an option either. With Ultrium? Way too expensive for a student.

Please, can anyone shed some light on this topic? Are there known problems with Powerbooks and external firewire harddisks? What can I do to protect my data, now that the drives was not recognizerd the first time? With the 80GB drive I was able to mount the drive two more times after the first initial failure. After that two more times The harddisk was not recognized anymore.

HELP HELP HELP

chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.