Ibook g4 questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4 12" 1.25mhz 1gb ram
Does anyone know if I can upgrade my internal hard drive of my ibook g4 12" 1.2mhz 1gb ram. Too an 160gb hard drive and there would be no issue with the laptop running fine with that? And if so, what are the best drives? Ive heard good things about seagate and western digital. Please help. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
If it's a 2.5" HDD (laptop HDD) and is 9.5mm in height or so, then you should be golden. I recommend WD as I have had very few problems working with them in the past. Here is information you can enter into Google to search for and purchase a 160GB HDD from WD

160GB IDE Western Digital Scorpio 5400RPM 8MB 9.5mm 2.5" WD1600BEVE

Go here to see about upgrading it yourself.

C

chas_m

Please note that iBook G4 drives are ATA, *not* SATA (IIRC). Could make a huge difference on what drive you are able to get.

Also, did I mention that replacing the hard drive in an iBook G4 involves stripping it down to the frame, keeping track of no less than 64 screws (all different!) and then re-assembling the entire thing? Have fun with that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please note that iBook G4 drives are ATA, *not* SATA (IIRC). Could make a huge difference on what drive you are able to get.

Also, did I mention that replacing the hard drive in an iBook G4 involves stripping it down to the frame, keeping track of no less than 64 screws (all different!) and then re-assembling the entire thing? Have fun with that.

Well said Chas! :) I've done this a handful of times...not only do you have to keep track of a lot of screws...but opening the lower case is a pain in the butt (even with 1-2 spudgers)...and something getting broken in the process is a REAL possibility if one is not very careful.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.