My 5D MKII got wet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Tuesday night me and two friends were heading out to a bar to throw some darts and drink some brews. Fortunately, my camera was with me.

The friend driving saw red off of the horizon and smoke. Apparently a large fire. I told him to drive back in the direction of the smoke to see what was up. When we rolled up on this house, it was already completely engulfed and there was no one there. I told the other passenger to call 911 and I started shooting. We were there for about 45 minutes or so and I got pretty much the whole thing.

Needless to say, the 5D MKII rocks. I was shooting with the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. The below photos are a little small, but if you click on them, it'll take you to the flick page where you can see the larger sizes. In the last one you can see about how hard it was raining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Wow! Awesome pictures. Great color in the one with the two firemen looking thru the window. That, and the first one are my favorite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
First off, great pics. Second off, as a beginning photography buff..(???) what were your settings in getting these pics? I would love to be able to capture things like this, but at this point, unless I go "full auto" on my Xsi, I don't think I could do it just yet.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Amazing pics! I take it the house was a total loss? Is the camera ok? You said it got wet.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
First off, great pics. Second off, as a beginning photography buff..(???) what were your settings in getting these pics? I would love to be able to capture things like this, but at this point, unless I go "full auto" on my Xsi, I don't think I could do it just yet.

The camera doesn't matter, such a great quote. O:)

I was shooting in full manual mode at f/4, 1/40, 3200 ISO, and at 70mm focal length. You'd have a hard time getting salvage shots with the XSI. I'm not saying it's impossible, it would just take more work.

You'd probably have to have at least a fast zoom so you could shoot at f/2.8. The 50MM f/1.8 would actually be ideal and would be about the same focal length on the XSI. So with a 50mm f/1.8 you could probably manage 1/40, 1600 ISO, and f/1.8 as the settings for similar shots with maybe a little bit more noise. Keep in mind that I was probably shooting with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS, so image stability was helping camera shake. It didn't do much for blur.

This is probably all foreign to you, so for the best help you might pick up the book "Understanding Exposure". I've never personally read it, but everyone that has says it's a great book for helping beginners understand how everything works so they can get into comfortable stepping out of the green box mode.

Amazing pics! I take it the house was a total loss? Is the camera ok? You said it got wet.

Yeah. The only thing standing is the chimney. It was abandoned though. My friends parents used to own the land it was on.

It help up fine. It was a steady rain but it wasn't really heavy. I was out in the wet for about 45 minutes. The good news is it works fine. The bad news it that I need to buy more memory cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
Thanks for the input VI, I have probably taken about 1000 pics already comparing the effects of the different settings so every little bit of new knowledge I can get my hands on helps.

Reaction score
He's right. Without the insane ISO of the 5D, the XSi would just pick up a blur. You'd do well with a speedlite, but you'd lose some of the insanity in these shots.

Wild shoot man. I'm glad the title wasn't literal. I was waiting for a horror story.

Reaction score
He's right. Without the insane ISO of the 5D, the XSi would just pick up a blur. You'd do well with a speedlite, but you'd lose some of the insanity in these shots.

Wild shoot man. I'm glad the title wasn't literal. I was waiting for a horror story.

Yikes. I also thought I was about to read that the camera got destroyed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.2GHz 160GB
Sick pictures man!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I am so glad I just ordered my 5D MKII!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.