icloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
I have been looking at both icloud and dropbox, both seem to allow the synchronization of information across multiple platforms in varying networks, but I am interested to transferring files from one computer to another. For instance, if I get to work and realize I forgot a powerpoint presentation or a doc file, I am looking for a way to log into my computer at home from my iphone and wirelessly transfer information from one device to another? I don't like logmein or gotomypc because they are way to expensive. Does icloud do this, i know dropbox can if you have already placed those files in the dropbox folder. Also, how do I access documents and data in icloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
I use Dropbox for exactly what you describe and it works brilliantly, along with backing up the original file. Tried iCloud but just can't find it in my heart to like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I believe what you're looking for is the Back to My Mac feature that works with iCloud. I have not used it myself, but from what I understand of it, it will do exactly what you're looking for.

Apple - Support - iCloud - Back to my Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
I use iCloud for my contacts and calendar, and works great. However I don't feel that iCloud is yet a replacement for Dropbox. I use Dropbox for documents that can share between home/work/ipad/iphone. Until iCloud matures and can do all that and isn't limited to just iWork docs I won't be using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just looked into setting up "Back to My Mac" to test it out, and it actually doesn't work with the iPhone. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed in Apple here.

Just to be clear… my understanding is that you want to be able to pull files off your Mac remotely, in case there is a file you need off your Mac that you don't have on a cloud service like DropBox or iCloud.

In this case, neither DropBox nor iCloud will fit the bill. Neither can pull files off your computer unless the files already exist in their folders.

I think the CHEAPEST solution would be to use DropBox for the actual transfers, if you are OK with the 2GB limit for the free account, that is. To get your files into the DropBox folder, you will need a VNC client on your iPhone that can remotely log in to your Mac over the internet. Using that, you can interact with your Mac as if you were sitting at it. Just copy the files to the DropBox folder, then get at them using DropBox.

Although I don't use it over the internet, I can very highly recommend Remoter. It's very inexpensive; has a great UI; and does allow secure connections to your Mac over the internet. It's also a universal app for iPhone/iPad, so you only pay once. The secure connection function over the internet is an in-app purchased upgrade I believe, but still cheap.

C

chas_m

Was just going to say that Dropbox and iCloud are in NO WAY alike and do not do the same things AT ALL.

Dropbox is cloud storage, full stop, that's it. Great stuff, but that's all it does.

iCloud doesn't really do cloud storage in the sense that Dropbox does at all. It does a little bit of storage (5GB, more than Dropbox actually) but doesn't work the same way at all. It's MOSTLY intended for e-mail, syncing, iTunes media backup and photostream.

If you want to store some documents in the cloud so that, if needed, you can retrieve them on a mobile device, you probably* want Dropbox.

(*for iWork documents, PDFs, music and photos, you might want iCloud).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.