Good Alternatives?

Reaction score
I'm a homeschooler, and the curriculum of which I'm using has supplied for me a computer... However, the computer happens to be an HP Compaq desktop that deletes my documents without my permission, and restarts itself (for absolutely no reason) in extremely inconvenient times, usually when I'm right in the middle of a research paper or other school-related documents, deleting them hence. The computer is also extremely slow, and is a huge pain, considering the fact that I have no desk, and because I complete my schoolwork in several different places depending on the day of the week. I have recently received $125, and I'm wanting to purchase an Apple laptop. Being an Apple geek (like the rest of my family), I acknowledge the fact that a brand-new Apple Notebook is extremely unaffordable in terms of my price range. However, I assume that an older Apple computer will cost around $125. I completely trust Apple, and love how reliable they are. What Apple laptops (in my price range) are decent alternatives to the load of crap my school gave me?
-Dave

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For $125, you're not going to get much (and by much, I really mean nothing good). You're going to have to increase your budget a bit if you want anything that is at least partly decent. How much can you spare?

It's very possible that despite your desire for a Mac, you may have to purchase a Windows machine given your financial constraints.

OP
J
Reaction score
$150 at the most. Once I get a job, I will obviously be capable of increasing my budget. However, I am in desperate need of a new computer, and $125 is all I currently have. Is there anything (both PC and Apple) that you recommend in general?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
$150 at the most. Once I get a job, I will obviously be capable of increasing my budget. However, I am in desperate need of a new computer, and $125 is all I currently have. Is there anything (both PC and Apple) that you recommend in general?

For an Apple laptop that would best fit your needs...you're going to need at least $300-$350...and really...$400-$450 would be better.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're not even going to get a very good Windows machine for $125. As much as I can sympathize, your budget needs to be larger which I recognize is a problem. This is why I would suggest contacting whoever shipped you the HP machine and describe to them the problems that you're having in the hopes that they can fix it.

OP
J
Reaction score
You're not even going to get a very good Windows machine for $125. As much as I can sympathize, your budget needs to be larger which I recognize is a problem. This is why I would suggest contacting whoever shipped you the HP machine and describe to them the problems that you're having in the hopes that they can fix it.

As much as I agree, the computer's lack of portability is as big of an issue as the technical problems. Maybe I can negotiate with my parents and have them pay half the cost of a used computer, or maybe I'll find something on Ebay. I guess those are my only options in my current circumstances. Thanks for helping me figure this out, despite the fact that no real solution came forth.
-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I hope you are still having a look at the forums

I know that it may not be what you want, but are you allowed to install software on that school machine?

If so, then consider giving Ubuntu Linux a go. You can install it alongside windows, and it runs well on older hardware. Its certainly more Mac like than Windows, is stable, comes with a decent office suite and could rejuvenate your ailing Windows PC at no cost whatsoever.

I've always installed it on PCs I have owned (often alongside Windows XP) and much prefer it to using Windows. Sure, its not OSX, and you have to get used to a new OS, but if your PC is giving you trouble, it runs well, is not plagued by malware and you cant argue with a free OS

Just a thought

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for helping me figure this out, despite the fact that no real solution came forth.

We can't pull a rabbit out of a hat!;)

It's simple...with a $125 dollar budget...you just aren't going to get much computer for that money...especially if you want a laptop!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
For $150, you can probably get a hold of the top of the line iBook G4, I've seen them with 1.5GB of ram even for only $125 or so. Even though the PowerPC architecture is "dead" the old Apple laptops still have a few drops of life left in them, and should work for typing papers, surfing the internet, and doing what you need to do to get by until you can afford a newer, faster machine.

You could also go the route of the PowerBook, which is usually higher spec than the iBook G4, but most may be out of your budget.

Have a look at your local craigslist, you'd be surprised what you can get for such a modest budget nowadays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.