Trying to get a graphic friend to switch

O

owaring

Hi there, i have a friend who is in the market for a new machine but not really giving the mac much consideration. I switched about 4 months ago and would like him to reap the same benefits i have.

This i think is mainly nerves regards a "new" os and also software requirements.

He is a technical author and from what i can gather he needs a desktop publishing package (i belive he currently uses frame maker [which he tells me is not available on mac]) as well as graphic editing and word processing

if anyone can suggest some packages he could look at im hoping i could sway him!!

many thanks

OP
S

steveedge

Well, for starters, you could let him know that Pagemaker and InDesign are available for Mac. Both are leading layout programs made by Adobe, the same company that makes Framemaker.
You could also let him know that Apple has traditionally been a leader in desktop publishing since the beginning of desktop publishing.
I have never used Framemaker but I see framemaker updates on the Adobe site for Mac.

OP
M

MacNewby

I am a longtime computer user in general. At 51 years of age I started out computing when we were using punch cards and have used a multitude of platforms since then: Vax 11/780; ComputerVision; Intergraph, Commodore, Amiga, IBM etc. (yes and my daughter also reminds me that I walked 5 miles to school in three feet of snow, uphill both ways :) )

I wouldn't say that I 'changed over' to Mac a month ago, but did add it to my inventory strictly to do PhotoShop, which was locking up on my P4 system, and nothing else. However...the best of plans can go awry. I've now added Microsoft Office (Word/Powerpoint/Excel), all my Nikon viewer and loading software, my Canon 9950 scanner and have wireless connected to my P4.

Tell your friend about my case: a longtime PC user who found the Mac to be wonderfully adictive and fun to use. I use a PC almost all day at work and often dreaded doing anything at home due to burnout. I've found the Mac to easy to migrate to, use and effectively a good stress reliever. Much to my wife's delight who competed with me for the P4, I now almost exclusively use the Mac. There is quite a bit of software for the Mac as I am sure you have discovered.

I'll not knock the other platform, too much, but the Mac is the best multitasking platform I've every used, period. Best regards, MacNewby

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.