Moving MS Office from my old mac to my new - help.

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have Mac that is not working properly. Long story, it is part of an insurance claim and the supplier has now agreed I will get a new Mac. I have an external hard drive back up using time machine. My question is; if I plug in my external hard drive to my new mac will MS Office still work. I have the original disks but I have used all three installs (on a laptop and another mac). I'm not too techno so I hope someone can assist. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, the Time Machine backup to the new machine should restore everything for you. One note of caution: Do not create an account on the new machine. That's important or you will have confusion when you restore your Time Machine backup. As soon as you turn on the new machine, the Migration Assistant will automatically run. It will ask if you wish to restore data from another Mac. Reply yes, attach your Time Machine external drive and press OK.

As for MS Office, it depends on which version your have. If it's Office 2008, there should be no problem restoring it to the new machine. No activation required. However, if it's Office 2011, you'll need your Product ID serial number and will have to re-activate again. Even if you've used the 3 installs, it should activate OK if it's been 120 days or more since the last install. If you do run into problems, call the MS product support 800 number and they will provide you with a new activation sequence.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks chsccag, appreciated. Sounds pretty straight forward. I do have Office 2008, so that's good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.