• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Getting the widescreen video format WITHOUT the black letterbox

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making a website and trying to put up a video with a format similar to this one's website.

I'm using a regular DV camera (which has the 16x9) format.

My problem is that I shot my video in 16x9 format but when I import it, then export it from iMovie, the black letterbox is still part of the video. But as you can see from the website I linked from above, I don't want that letterbox.

So is there a way to get rid of this letterbox?
- Should I be shooting in regular 4:3 format, or 16x9 format?
- Does iMovie even allow this capability?
- If not, how do I do it in final cut pro?

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, ALWAYS post the version of software you are asking about.

Second, that site was a bad example because I didn't have the patience to wait for it to load. Yuk for making me having to wait. ;)

What options are you using for the export? Is the video in 16x9 format in iMovie when you are editing it and does it preview in 16x9 properly? Did you make your project 16:9 when you created it?

Lastly, perhaps you need to use a custom export option. See my iMovie Export Guide about this.

And yes, iMovie can export wide screen formats without the bars, as can FCP.

OP
F
Reaction score
hi, thanks for the reply

i'm using both iMovie and FCP and I shot it in both 16x9 and Normal format.

If someone can teach me how to import/export these videos without the black letterbox bars, that would be awesome. (For both 16x9 or Normal format - whichever one is ideal, I just shot in both because I didn't know which format is ideal to start with)

THanks

Reaction score
Greetings

This may help.

If you ensure that Automatic DV Pillarboxing and Letterboxing is unticked (under 'Import Preferences') when you import to iMovie, then you should fix this.

Picture 1.png

I hope so.

Cheers M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.