New MacBook aluminum or previous gen MacBook Air?

Reaction score
I just bought a new MacBook last week (2.0 model), and while I love it, I keep going back and looking at the MacBook Air. Best Buy now has the MB Air for $1299 (1.6 Ghz with 80 gb hard drive), which is the same as I paid for the MacBook. I know the MB has higher specs ( 2.0 Ghz and 160 gb hard drive), but while I originally went with the MB because I planned on replacing my Dell, I've decided to keep the Dell as my primary computer and the MB is a second computer for travel. This is where having the Air would be great, because it would be even more portable. The lack of ports and such don't bother me much because I don't really need anything (I have a wireless mighty mouse on order, so I don't need the usb port for the mouse, leaving it open for whatever accessory I would need at the time). Is the Air that much slower than the new 2.0 MB? I know it would be a bit slower, but is it very noticable? I would use it mostly for web browsing, music/movies, and occassionally light video editing (hardly any...basically uploading and trimming the movie down to length). What would you do in my position?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
The fact the MacBook Air doesn't have a replaceable battery and no DVD drive makes me biased towards owning a MacBook. Keep the MacBook, you'll be happier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I own both a Black MacBook and a MacBook Air. I love both of them equally.

My Air goes with me everywhere and I use daily for light to medium duty work. As soon as I start doing DVD authoring, working in iPhoto, or anything which needs a little more processing power, I use my Black MacBook instead.

Honestly I don't even notice that much of a speed difference between the two when I'm doing basic stuff.

In your position, it really depends on what you plan on doing with your Mac in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
The new alum macbook is so perfect, the air is just OK for my needs the MB fills the void!
The macbook Air is much slower then my 2.4 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
I just recently bought an iMac and now I wish that I had an air instead of my white macbook. I think the two would be a perfect pair so if you already have a main computer it seems like the air makes a great secondary one

Reaction score
well, depends on your budget.
Does the few hundred extra bucks matter to you?
If not , I would definitely go with the air with the reasons that the people listed above

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
Honestly, the Macbook Air is a good computer but it is powerless. I had the base model for 6 months before switching to a pro. The mac is really gutless. My computer could not even run more than 3 minutes of a youtube clip without starting to run really slow and a big delay developing between the sound and actual clip. I would honestly get the new macbook over the macbook air. IF all you are going to do is word process and very basic internet use, then the base model Air is not bad but really limits you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
Honestly, the Macbook Air is a good computer but it is powerless. I had the base model for 6 months before switching to a pro. The mac is really gutless. My computer could not even run more than 3 minutes of a youtube clip without starting to run really slow and a big delay developing between the sound and actual clip. I would honestly get the new macbook over the macbook air. IF all you are going to do is word process and very basic internet use, then the base model Air is not bad but really limits you.

Having had both I do have to agree with the statement above:)

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds like the Air would be a cool computer to have, however, after further research and a few comments on here, it seems like I'd be better off with the regular MacBook. I really do love it, not unhappy in any way, I just really like the form factor of the Air. However, I think I'd rather keep the MB and have the extra bit of power if needed as opposed to get the Air and find I don't have it when I need it. Plus, one thing I really love most about the Macbook is the touchpad being one button. I wouldn't miss the 4-finger gestures as much, but I would miss it being one button, and the Macbook's still pretty slim in its own right, so I'm just going to keep it and continue loving it! Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.