Old HD no good? Best next steps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz, 8Gb RAM, 500GB HD Serial ATA Drive @7200 & Antiglare (regrettably)
Hi,

Please accept I know veer little about the techie/IT side, so forgive what might appear to be 'obvious' questions...

I've recently moved from PC to MacBook Pro. I own a LaCie Ethernet Disk mini that used to do backups for my PC but have since discovered it's 7 years old. Presume my best bet is to start again?

What would you recommend for a 500GB machine that is mostly full of Adobe CS and Office files, music and photos (total usage of machine = 150GB currently).

What's the best way to do my backups? I already use Carbonite for an online solution, but think it wise to have my own in-house version. Ideally, I'd like to plug a new backup into my wireless network, so I'm not having to plug/unplug my laptop into devices every time I move, but is that wise? I don't want to spend a fortune, naturally, and yet, my business demands appropriate care, attention and professionalism. Quality wins out every time IMHO.

Welcome any advice or pointers to where to check out. Am drowning in 'sales patter' versus common sense, unbiased, know-how.

Thanks in advance.
G

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz, 8Gb RAM, 500GB HD Serial ATA Drive @7200 & Antiglare (regrettably)
I received some useful info in response to this post (which has subsequently disappeared!) In essence it advised RAID 1 type backups. While I understand the logic behind this, with an existing online backup facility, plus the ability to archive critical files elsewhere (on a shared drive between colleagues), I'm thinking a one disk backup *should* suffice (and be more affordable). I am hoping to spend <£200 if possible...

Does anyone have any recommendations given my situation as stated above, please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.