Audio distortion in songs and my 80GB iPod.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've noticed that on the odd song I'm getting distortion. Whereas when I listen to the same song on my laptop there is none. It's clean. I'm getting this in maybe 2-3% of my uploaded song collections. What is going on? Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
increase the quality. maybe when you transfer songs to itunes i had to do that and now it works like a charm. its in pref.

thats what id do. just giving my .02

OP
D
Reaction score
increase the quality. maybe when you transfer songs to itunes i had to do that and now it works like a charm. its in pref.

thats what id do. just giving my .02

Can you tell me what settings you're using to get no distortion on the songs transfered from iTunes to your iPod?

I have mine set to:

Import using: AAC Encoder'
Sample Rate: Auto (should I set it to the max instead?)
Channels: Auto (should I set it to Stereo?)
"Use Variable Bit Rate Encoding" (unselected)

Have you tried using "Apple Lossless Encoder/Auto"? Will that guarantee distortion free transfer?

There should be no distortion. I guess I don't have the Preference set properly. :)

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i set mine to max. not auto i dont know if it makes the files take more space but it fixed my problems also if youve adjusted individual song volumes sometimes it messes with the quality. if you have select all your songs and select info and slide it to the middle. if i dont help sorry i am just passin on what i know

oh and when i import i use the highest setting.

i listen to punk and electro among countless other genres but they show distortion the most to me so i always have my settings maxxed.

OP
D
Reaction score
i set mine to max. not auto i dont know if it makes the files take more space but it fixed my problems also if youve adjusted individual song volumes sometimes it messes with the quality. if you have select all your songs and select info and slide it to the middle. if i dont help sorry i am just passin on what i know

oh and when i import i use the highest setting.

i listen to punk and electro among countless other genres but they show distortion the most to me so i always have my settings maxxed.

Well, I've tried removing all the songs from my iPod. Then resetting the importing preferences to 256kbps ("higher quality"). No change. Distortion on the same songs. I also tried Apple Lossless. No change. Not sure what happens between the transfer from my laptop to the iPod. Some songs just don't arrive totally intact. Disappointing. And as I said these distorted songs play fine on my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im sorry i have no clue then.

bump

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.