Macbook works in the freezer?

Reaction score
Ok I tried to sell a macbook on ebay and was ripped off. :Oops:

I received the macbook back with a crack on the corner near the magsafe connection. Now when I try to turn on the laptop the screen flashes, the cd drive doesn't respond and the white heartbeat on the front of the laptop comes on. I found, however, that if the laptop was cool or.... someone accidentally left it in the freezer for 20 min... that it would turn on and the colder it was the longer it would stay on.

Any ideas? Is the logicboard bad? Any help would be great, I would like to be able to use the macbook outside of my walk-in freezer... :Grimmace:

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just to let you know, exposing your computer to cold temperatures and then using it at room temperature can lead to condensation, which as you know, is very bad for a computer as it can short circuit. And then you have a whole other problem on your hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think it sounds like you've just been ripped off. If the MacBook doesn't work as expected then it's obviously faulty. If it wasn't advertised as such then you could try contacting eBay or PayPal - good luck with that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Paypal is all for buyers rights and screwing over the seller regardless of whether the buyer is legit or not. Place a complaint with E-Bay and then with Paypal. You'll get your money back from Paypal.

Reaction score
I get the impression he was the seller though and the buyer damaged the computer claimed it came broken and screwed the OP in the process, right?
Sorry though I can't help you with the mechanical problem, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assumed he's the buyer - I'm not sure how he could be "ripped off" if he's the seller, although the post actually implies both. Some clarity would help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Crap. My bad. In that case, you're kind of screwed...not really but it's going to take more work.

Call e-bay and notify them.

Also call Paypal and talk to them about it. Chances are, you're not going to get any money from them. If you have already taken the cash out of the account, then that's probably the only way you're going to get the money. They'll charge whatever card you have associated with the account, you'll have to call the card company and tell them that it was fraud.

Paypal is horrible to deal with if you're a seller.

I've had BIG problems with them before and thanks to my CC company, it got straightened out.

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright well I appreciate everyone analyzing my post. To help the topic move forward, I was the seller. The buyer claimed it was broken when he received it even though it was a good 2 weeks before he decided to come out with this.

Anyways! The problem I am wanting to fix is the fact that there is a small crack from an impact on the back left corner of the case near the magsafe plug-in and the macbook will only rarely start when it is cool. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you'll need to speak to Apple, it sounds as if there's a dodgy joint; probably the CPU heatsink has been dislodged by whatever the impact was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
also, did you insure the package when you sent it? If he claimed it was like that when recieved, you may be able to place a claim with the shipping company.

Reaction score
If you shipped using USPS then get the postal inspectors involved for mail fraud. The postal police dont take lightly to fraud and will chase the SOB that ripped you off down and arrest him. I always use USPS for shipping or receiving high dollar items.

Hope this helps
RK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.