norton system works on imac ??

C

colcol

I ordered a new imac, my first mac, yesterday. this will have the 1.25 gig processor. it is due to arrive with me on thursday from taiwan.

my question is whether it is possible to load norton system works 2003 on a latest generation imac.

I have come to rely on this software on my pc especially roxio "go back" included on the cd. this prog has saved my life several times. go back allows me cancel out all software loads and go back to a date and time whem my pc was working well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you really have low probability of anything happening to your mac, but yes it does. and here it is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I agree with MacAddikt. The kind of stuff that happnes on a PC that Norton helps fix is almost impossible to happen on a Mac. And the Mac really does contain almost all the stuff you would need to fix anything as part of the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
colcol said:
I ordered a new imac, my first mac, yesterday. this will have the 1.25 gig processor. it is due to arrive with me on thursday from taiwan.

my question is whether it is possible to load norton system works 2003 on a latest generation imac.

I have come to rely on this software on my pc especially roxio "go back" included on the cd. this prog has saved my life several times. go back allows me cancel out all software loads and go back to a date and time whem my pc was working well.

I've actually heard of Norton doing more harm than good on some Macs (though I've never tried it myself nor do I plan to, so I can't confirm this). I would agree with schweb and say don't bother with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
yeah on OS 9 it usually messed things up more than it helped.. maybe all classic.. I really did not like it due to the problems I had way back in the day :)

OP
C

colcol

thanks for responses but

thanks for responses but is it feasible, with os x v 10.2 to load and use standard windows software eg works suite 2002?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
colcol said:
thanks for responses but is it feasible, with os x v 10.2 to load and use standard windows software eg works suite 2002?

Not without Virtual PC. You're better off running OS X-native applications if high performance is what you're after.

OP
D

dagaz

Padawan said:
Not without Virtual PC. You're better off running OS X-native applications if high performance is what you're after.

Even with Virtual PC definitely don't run Norton 2003. Windows and Mac run off completely different file systems. Attempting to run this program on your mac (assuming it even let you) would seriously screw it. For Mac (in particular OSX) two system utilities to check out are DiskWarrior and Drive 10. Neither of these programs come bundled with an Antivirus program but as of this writing there is still not one single Mac OSX virus.

OP
G

GwiDan

So what you're all saying is that it's not necessary to get some kind of system restore/antivirus/firewall for Mac? Keeps costs down, I suppose.

OP
D

dagaz

GwiDan said:
So what you're all saying is that it's not necessary to get some kind of system restore/antivirus/firewall for Mac? Keeps costs down, I suppose.

1) OS X has a built in firewall - its in your System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall. For mor advanced settings (i.e. if your more than just an average home user) you can edit this in the terminal using the ipfw command.

2) At the moment there is not one single known virus for OSX - one of the beauties of belonging to a platform that only has 3% of market share. If you regularly network your computer with Windows machines you should get an antivirus program because your mac can carry viruses which will infect the Windows machines. The 3 ones with the best reputation are Virex (comes with .Mac), Norton Antivirus 9 and Intego Antivirus.

3) OS X has a built in disk utility. You can run this normally to repair permissions (Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Permissions) and you can either boot off the Install CD or into single user mode to run this. If you want to fork out for a 3rd party utility the one with the best reputation is Disk Warrior closely followed by Drive 10. I have Drive 10, however I always use the built in stuff first and so far Drive 10 has not found a single problem that can't be fixed by the built-in stuff.

OP
G

GwiDan

Sounds excellent. Being completely new to the world of Macs, what does repairing permissions do? I've come across this quite a bit, but I haven't the foggiest what the purpose of it is.

OP
D

dagaz

what does repairing permissions do?
Short answer - file permissions are inherent in the unix system which underlies OS X. Occasionally the preferences for a file can become corrupted which will cause erratic behaviour. Repair permissions fixes these wayward permissions. For the long answer see this page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.