Touch screen for mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.16 Dual Core.
I was wondering if anyone knows a touch screen monitor that's compatible with Macs or maybe if any touch screen hardware that works with macs?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
These kinds of devices have been around for a while in various forms. Here are a few links

Add-on TouchScreen For MAC 13-15" LCD or CRT Monitor..

One brand of these is, I believe made by a company called Edmark, and is called the TouchWindow. It is widely used for individuals with disabilities that make mouse use difficult. TouchWindow.com: External Add-On Touch

There are also some devices where the entire monitor is essentially a touch screen such as Planar Touch | Touchscreen LCD Monitors | PT191MU Touch Monitor | Planar Systems or the Wacom Centiq series.

As far as Mac support I know that the TouchWindow has worked with Macs in the past but have not used one in quite some time. many of these and others should work well with Macs because they essentially emulate mice as far as the OS is concerned but do your homework.

OP
gimperdaniel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tanks for your links. I will take a look. I saw some nice monitors that are already touch screen but none compatible with macs.

C

chas_m

Experiment:

PRETEND your Mac has a touchscreen: hold your arm in the position you'd need to hold it to work with a touchscreen iMac. Hold it there for a whole minute or two, if you can.

... and now you know why a) there won't be a touchscreen Mac and b) the Magic Trackpad was invented.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Experiment:

PRETEND your Mac has a touchscreen: hold your arm in the position you'd need to hold it to work with a touchscreen iMac. Hold it there for a whole minute or two, if you can.

... and now you know why a) there won't be a touchscreen Mac and b) the Magic Trackpad was invented.

I believe the concept is commonly referred to as "gorilla arm" and is the exact reason why touchscreens have mostly been the domain of kiosks and ATMs. It's just not the right venue for input on a desktop or laptop, which is why Apple hasn't really pursued it.

Tablets, Smartphones, etc are a different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Experiment:

I have become very spoiled to the latest track pad in MBP's and now that it has
inertia scrolling love it even more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I believe the concept is commonly referred to as "gorilla arm" and is the exact reason why touchscreens have mostly been the domain of kiosks and ATMs. It's just not the right venue for input on a desktop or laptop, which is why Apple hasn't really pursued it.

Tablets, Smartphones, etc are a different story.
I completely agree with you and chase. Touch screens are better if you are not using them all day or for devices that have your arms almost 90 degrees to the ground like computer monitors. It's a nice idea in movies but for real world use I don't see them becoming popular. The technology is already there so they would have used it if they thought it was a good idea.

Also the ridiculous amount of times you would have to clean your screen from the oils on your hand woud get annoying for most people. I hate using a protector cover on my iPod Touch because it causes too much friction for dragging and swiping gestures so that wouldn't be a solution for people like me.

OP
gimperdaniel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want a touch screen to make sort of a media center and hang it on the wall. So I could for example check the weather, calendar, select some music, follow some recipes and other daily things.. that's my goal with a touch screen.. it will probably be hooked to an mac mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.