Running MS Office 2011 on Mac

Reaction score
I just installed Office 2011 on my imac running 10.6. Installation was successful but, the first time I tried to save a doc in Word 2011 and then quit Word I got the message: 'Compile error: Method or data member not found'. There also appears a kind of code chart/menu that seems to be all about Visual Basic (whatever that is!). When I try to get rid of that, I get a message 'This command will stop debugger', then when I click close and go back to the Word menu, I get 'Close and Return to Microsoft Word'. Eventually I am able to save the doc and quit, but only after lots of clicking to get rid of various messages. What's going on?

PS: I don't know if this is contributing to (or causing) the problem, but I noticed that when I installed Office 2011, my computer did not uninstall my previous version of Office (2008) which still appears on my dock.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think installing Office 2011 without removing 2008 is the cause of the problem. 2011 will overwrite quite a few of the files and folders used by 2008 anyway. It also re-writes the user profile and data base.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on with your installation. Make sure you have the latest update from MS installed. If you continue to have problems, you may have to uninstall 2011 and reinstall.

If you do decide to uninstall 2011 you will need to use their uninstaller which they have recently provided. Here is the LINK to download it. The download link is at the bottom of the page.

Reaction score
Office for Mac 2011 & Visual Basic Pop Ups - HELP!

@Mantaray - Did you ever solve this problem? I am having the same issues. Am running Lion. Pop ups all over the place for this Visual Basic thing that I have ZERO interest in..... Can't open a document or close a document without being overrun with these compile errors, debug boxes, etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you're trying to open documents that have macros built in. Office 2011 has a macro compiler for Visual Basic and will run it if it detects an older document with a VB macro. Older macros are not completely compatible and need to be recompiled.

You can set the preferences in Office 2011 to warn you about macros or just turn them completely them off. If that's not the problem, the only thing I can suggest is to reinstall Office 2011 after completely removing it.

I also moved this entire thread to OS-X Apps and Games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.