Wireless File Sharing Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook & Early Mac Mini
Hi folks.

I'm having a problem wirelessly file sharing between my white macbook, and early mac mini (2006/7). Basically, I can access the mini from the macbook, but I can not access the macbook from the mini.

When I try and access the macbook from the mini, it tries to connect for a long time before throwing up a message saying "The server is unavailable".
I had originally tried connecting using the connect to server option under finder, and put in the server number provided in system preferences on the macbook. I didn't do this to connect to the mini from the macbook, it automatically found the mini, and I put in the password I set up.
It won't even allow me to use the connect as option whilst trying to connect to the macbook in finder, whereas again I can the other way round.

I have set up file sharing exactly the same on both macs as far as I can see and it is turned on. I presume the wireless is working correctly as it works one way.

I want to be able to access the macbook from the mini a lot more than I want to access the mini from the macbook (the mini is going to be a media centre.) Typical it's the wrong way round huh?

Does anybody have any solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Have you got firewall set to "on" on either machines?
Also I know you said you didn't use connect to server but what happens when you do? Same thing?

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did use the connect to option first on the mini to macbook, and that gave the error message. I daren't try it on the macbook to mini connection seeing as that actually works.

Firewall on the macbook is on, but has File Sharing (AFP) allowed.

EDIT: If I turn file sharing off on the macbook, I can no longer see it in finder on the mini.
When I turn it on, it reappears, but I cannot connect to access it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
On the macbook, click System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options. In there make sure the relevant boxes are checked. Once done, logout and back in. Then try connecting with the mini again.

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
File sharing is checked on.
Share via AFP is checked.
Account is checked.

Connection from the mini to macbook still fails. It still won't let me input an account password like I did the other way round either.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any more ideas I can try?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally sorted it.

Updated to Snow leopard on the macbook, and it told me the firewall was blocking afp connections, which it didn't tell me on leopard.

All working now, thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.