Change iWeb default theme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hd
I'm working on updates to my website.

The theme on the site is currently set to Travel. Any time I add an album into a page, the album page is set to the Road Trip theme. I don't remember if I had originally started the site with that theme, but every single page in the site is Travel... But every time I add an album it's Road Trip.

It's not a big deal to change the theme, but with adding so many albums, I'd like to find a better way!

Thanks!
-Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I don't know of one, but I have some advice, which I give to everyone who asks questions about WYSIWYG.

LEARN HTML.

WYSIWYG programs work for really quick stuff (some of the time) but when you actually want to make a decent website, they become not so great. A few months back, I was working on a project for school that I decided to do in form of a website. I started using iWeb. Great! I have all of my text, all of my images. It's all right there. No problem. However, I found some real problems with it:

1. iWeb doesn't actually create files until you export your site. It's stuck on YOUR computer and nobody else can get to it to see the work you've done.
2. It takes WAY to long in the long-run to publish a website. Type, save, export. FPT. Fix mistakes. Save (you get the idea).
3. You're restricted to the looks Apple made. Almost every site you can make with iWeb will look about the same. It gives little leeway for customization.
4. As in any WYSIWYG program, there are extraneous codes and files. I ended up with a 20-webpage site with something like 20 or 30 sub directories and 3 CSS files for each page (CSS stands for Style Sheet). It's a mess to keep track of.

The above points are going to be the case with almost any WYSIWYG editor. I get that you're new at this. That's okay. For starters, you could try something like iWeb or Compozer, but once you start to get comfortable, these programs really waste more time than they save. I give this very same advice to everyone, but it's the truth. You get websites with hundreds of megabytes or even gigabytes more stuff then they need.

Feel free to post here (or PM me) about this. I hope you find this helpful.

- iPod Nano

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but your advice is way off the mark.

I know a fair deal of HTML, and I've spent a lot of time over the years writing my sites from scratch.

I'm not trying to create a website that's innovative in its uniqueness. At one point I felt that every page I was creating essentially looked the same, because I had the same ideas in my mind for how to make it.

I'm just trying to make a simple website that I can easily upload albums from iPhoto. After setting the page up, it takes almost no work for me to add to it. I just drag in the album I want, write the description on the page, hit save, hit publish. Done. This is way easier for me than writing HTML.

Now does anyone have any actual useful response to my original question?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not looking for tips to spice it up.

The problem is I changed the theme on my site, but when I add new pages, they're created with the old theme. So with each new page, I have to change the pages' theme.

Somewhere there must be a default setting that decides the theme of the site, and I don't know where that is to change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I may not be understanding your problem. If I click on New Page, I get to choose the theme for the new page, and then the type of page I want, New Album in your case. Are you saying that you choose the Travel theme, but when you select the New Album page it comes up in Road Trip theme?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may not be understanding your problem. If I click on New Page, I get to choose the theme for the new page, and then the type of page I want, New Album in your case. Are you saying that you choose the Travel theme, but when you select the New Album page it comes up in Road Trip theme?

Sorry, you're right. It's not when I click new page.

I have "My Albums" pages set with the travel theme, then when I drag an album into it from the media pane, that album gets the roadtrip theme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Doing a quick test, it looks like adding a new My Albums page with the theme you want and then dragging and dropping all the pages from the old My Albums page to the new one works. After that, any album pages you add from the Media pane should take on the new theme (although the already-created pages you drag and drop into it will not). It's not the quickest process depending on how many albums you've already added, but it does work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.