padlock on System Preference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
I am running Leopard 10.5.8 and having a problem that the padlock on system preference gets unlocked even after I locked it.

I recently changed the network setting and locked. Then I left computer for a while and found the padlock was unlocked.

Why does it happen like this? This is not a first time and I've seen this many times.

I use an Airport Express. When I open network setting, I see other people's network names since I live in an Apartment building. Do I need to worry about my security?

padlock.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You only need to worry about security if you're not using strong encryption for your wireless network. Living in an apartment building means you're in close proximity to many neighbors some of which might be pirating your signal. Make sure you're using at least WPA and even better, WPA2 for encryption.

OP
odenkun
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
Yes, I do use WPA2 for my Airport Express setup.

wpa2_setup.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.