• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Got a call from "Microsoft" - Yeah, Right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay, so there I was cooking for Thanksgiving when the phone rings. Caller ID shows just a phone number, no name so I assume ... telemarketer. Nope.

A very foreign sounding man said he was calling from Microsoft because my Windows computer was contacting them with all kinds of error messages. He wanted me to go to my computer, open a browser and go to a specific website.

I told the guy I had a Mac and he said "What's that?" I said it's an Apple computer, you know, the other guys. He got flustered and said it didn't matter, just go to the site he was going to give me. I said I was an IT and I was very familiar with computer security and this sounded like a scam to me. I paused to wait for the response. He started laughing and said I was kidding him and I wasn't really an IT. I said sorry, I was and this conversation was over and hung up. I thought later - darn- should have gotten the website. But I was cooking and had to go.

I immediately called one of my best friends to warn her because I know her - she would do whatever they asked and she does have a Windows PC. She agreed that it would never occur to her it was a scam.

I did wonder if I had been having a blond moment and had gone to the website would my Mac been infected or would they have asked for personal information?? Guess I will never know.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, I suspect they thought they had a "Turkey" and were going to try to get you to give them your private info like credit card numbers and who knows what else. Good show Lisa, you avoided a scam for sure. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Spam comes in all forms...not just e-mail.

- Nick

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have visited sites in the past that told me my Mac had a Registry and wanted to clean it and delete the DLL files! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Not a new story - here in the UK we've been getting these calls for several years. I used to tell them very loudly to **** off and put the phone down. Now I play a game to keep them on the line for as long as possible... "Just a minute someone is at the door..." (put phone on desk and carry on working) then "I'll just turn my PC (sic) on...", "Sorry, can you repeat that", "Hang on my son is calling..."

My record is 28 minutes. Result!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
We got a similar call last week and my daughter picked up the phone and she fell for it.
( She is the only one in the house with a windows PC ).
Luckily our oldest daughter read about it in the newspaper and asked what she was doing and took over the phone and she kept these guys busy with all kind of questions like ..... I can't connect to that web site because of error xyz etc .... was funny really.

The crucial thing with this kind of malicious behaviour is ..... awareness.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Not a new story - here in the UK we've been getting these calls for several years. I used to tell them very loudly to **** off and put the phone down. Now I play a game to keep them on the line for as long as possible... "Just a minute someone is at the door..." (put phone on desk and carry on working) then "I'll just turn my PC (sic) on...", "Sorry, can you repeat that", "Hang on my son is calling..."

My record is 28 minutes. Result!!

I can beat that. My record is over 40 minutes.
By the end of the call the guy completely lost the plot and was shouting and swearing down the phone. Best fun i've had in ages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 black macbook 2.4/2/250 running 10.7.5,
I got a call like that yesterday afternoon...i already knew about the game so i let him hang on the line and wait .. told him i had to find the windows pile of crap machine and then told him ooops i forgot i got rid of microsoft crap about 3 years ago and only use mac. he said something i couldnt understand and hung up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
What? You mean you didn't get to talk to Bill Gates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Regular attempt Down Under and has been so for five or six years this 'Windows Technical Service' thing in an Indian accent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.