Macbook air keeps shutting off and wont turn on while plugged in

Reaction score
Alright so my friend brought me his Macbook air to try and fix for him, it keeps randomly shutting off, at first it lasts roughly 5 minutes before it shuts off but after the first time it usually only lasts a minute tops. He told me it only started doing this after he dragged something into the trash. Also it will not turn on while its plugged in, only while its running on battery.

I decided to just try re installing lion but it just restarts halfway through the installation, so im pretty stumped on what to do.

I am by no means a mac expert, i usually work with windows so i need some help

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is his MacBook Air still under warranty? Apple warranty is one year from date of purchase unless he bought the extended warranty (Apple care) which would extend that an additional two years. If it's still under warranty, take it to Apple for repair.

The symptom you describe could be a bad power supply (logic board), bad flash drive, or even memory (which is soldered to the logic board). Or, for that matter, any other defect on the logic board causing it to shut down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.