Panther to Tiger on a mac mini

Reaction score
Has anyone here updated their mini from Panther to Tiger? Did you notice any difference in speed?

S

silverpenguin

Personally I haven't noticed any major speed increase. Seems about the same to me. As I have mentioned in other posts though I have become aware of the hard drive making noise now Tige is installed. Of course I could have been there the whole time but in apprx 6 weeks of owning it I had never noticed it till Tiger went on.

Everything works well though with Tiger, spotlight is great, the dashboard I don't find much use for right now as the widgets available aren't of much use to me and Quick Time 7 (pro) has the real time full screen zoom thing which is a nice little touch.

I'd say go for it, it certainly wont hurt :)

E

Ex_PC_Puke

I put Tiger on within a week of getting my mini - so can't really tell - I'm just happy that Tiger has been as stable as it has :p no real issues.

Knowing what I know now I would have stayed with panther for awhile until the second realase of tiger ----- just sort of got caught up in the whole upgrade frenzy

R

rvr2k3

Ex_PC_Puke said:
I put Tiger on within a week of getting my mini - so can't really tell - I'm just happy that Tiger has been as stable as it has :p no real issues.

Knowing what I know now I would have stayed with panther for awhile until the second realase of tiger ----- just sort of got caught up in the whole upgrade frenzy

I installed Tiger two weeks ago and all is well. Not much of a noticeable difference in terms of speed. But I am loving the RSS screensaver. Dashboard is a pale version of Konfabulator and Spotlight seems pretty good.

Reaction score
I think you arent noticing speed increase with Tiger on the mac mini, since it's processor is not 64 bit.

K

Kokopelli

Not much difference in speed on the Mini. Context switching is improved though, i.e. it seems a little "smoother." Playing DVD and doing some other task at the same time, window resizing, etc... The difference was more perceptible on my PB, but even there it was not awe inspiring.

The lack of a 64bit processor is not that significant. Most performance improvements for 64bit processors existed in 10.3. What Tiger introduces is the ability to access larger memory space, which will make no difference for 99% of the programs out there. 64bit binaries in Tiger are for buzz word compliance not performance. Most improvements in speed when switching to x86-64 are not due to 64bit memory space (what is added in Tiger) but because of the increased number of registers (already available in Panther).

Now the compiler might have improved optimizations for the G5, but that is again not due to one version having 64bit apps and the other not.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I installed Tiger on my Mini the evening it came out. I do notice a overall speed difference but it's not Jaw Dropping, but there. Safari 2.0 is very nice and FAST, Love Spotlight, Dashboard is very handy. Networking especially with Windows computers is improved, even on the Mini certain things related to video like Expose' feel faster. One thing though, make sure you have at least 512Megs RAM or stick with Panther. With especially Dashboard running, it wants RAM. I have 1 Gig and it's very smooth. 512 should be fine for most uses.

The difference in speed is as I said not Amazing, but the more you use it the more you will see it here and there. I am very happy I upgraded to Tiger.

OP
M
Reaction score
Safari is one of the apps I tend to have trouble with, If I am at some sites with some flash on it my CPU usage will get pegged at 100% for a sec and everything will kind of drag.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mynameis said:
Safari is one of the apps I tend to have trouble with, If I am at some sites with some flash on it my CPU usage will get pegged at 100% for a sec and everything will kind of drag.

Are you running the latest undate on Panther? 10.3.9 with Safari 1.3? That spead up things with Java a lot. Tiger seems even faster in that way. With Flash I have never had problems at least with the sites I visit all the time. Anandtech uses a lot of Flash and Safari 2.0 there seems as fast as anything I use even on the PC. I don't notice any real lag there at least. Give me an example of a page with Flash that bogs down your mini and I will try it here and check out CPU usage.

OP
M
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
Are you running the latest undate on Panther? 10.3.9 with Safari 1.3? That spead up things with Java a lot. Tiger seems even faster in that way. With Flash I have never had problems at least with the sites I visit all the time. Anandtech uses a lot of Flash and Safari 2.0 there seems as fast as anything I use even on the PC. I don't notice any real lag there at least. Give me an example of a page with Flash that bogs down your mini and I will try it here and check out CPU usage.
I am on my PC now, but I'll remember to post a site when I find one on my mini.

B

BEEEsH

The minute I got my MAc mini, i formated with and put tiger on.
I've got the 1.25g with 512mb ram and it runs well, even with itunes, PS and Illustrator open.

OP
M
Reaction score
One of the sites that brings Safari to a slow crawl is newegg.com, Camino does ok with it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.