• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPad (2nd generation?) to have Camera?

Reaction score
Read about this. It's a bit interesting. But I don't think a camera would sell well with the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP: 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, 2.26GHz
i know someone actually who was excited and going to buy one, but turned away bc the lack of a cam. but i guess the lack of ichat (if they knew about it) would have done just a good job turning them away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram, 500GB WD 7200rpm HDD
Well if you read it carefully it states that no has had been able to get their hands on the iPad yet, let alone some repair shop in kansas getting it. It looks like the chinese are getting ready for duplicate housing.

If you check this same article at gizmodo, it details the facts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP: 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, 2.26GHz
baaahahaha this is hilarious
tumblr_kx9q6tJoR81qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hahaha, beat me to it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's totally true!!

My buddy runs an auto salvage yard in Nowwheresville, IN and he is already fully stocked with iPad repair parts!

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing how in the world would repair parts be released before an apple product. To Add if anything goes wrong with any apple product you have at min 3 months coverage upto 1 year with out an extended warranty.

C

chas_m

I think I have figured out the REAL reason the iPad does not have a front side video camera.

(The reason they don't have a back-side camera is because it would be stupid)

The reason is because:

a. They'd have to fix iChat to make it work with PCs, and much more reliably with Macs. This would probably entail buying Skype.

b. You know Steve -- videochatting would HAVE to work beautifully under wifi AND 3g before he'd do something like that.

c. Imagine the strain on the already-overloaded 3G networks if a great videochatting program were to appear on millions of people's iPads (and of course PCs).

That last one's the real killer, but I think it has something to do with all three. So no camera in iPad gen 2 either.

Reaction score
Honestly, it could easily have been feedback from AT&T that kept the camera out of iPad gen 1 - I can hear them saying "our network can barely keep up with the iPhone, give us a year to fix the backbone before you completely tank our network!" :)

And --- the lack of a camera is an issue.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I read that article too. I think this is Apple attempt to milk the first as much as they can from the first generation since there are people who will buy it no matter what the ipad comes out with in it's first generation. I would seriously bet money that it will have a camera built in…probably as soon as the next update version comes out. After all, it really does make sense to have a camera with the keyboard-dock stand. Thankfully, I'm am really patient this time around :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I could see the network issue holding it back if Apple made a deal to keep it off for the inexpensive non-contract data plans, but I think that's that the $129 3G bump is for.

But I actually think it's just Apple holding back a feature for gen 2 or 3. For me it doesn't matter as I have no interest in a camera. The one on my MBP annoys me anyway.

Reaction score
Honestly, it could easily have been feedback from AT&T that kept the camera out of iPad gen 1 - I can hear them saying "our network can barely keep up with the iPhone, give us a year to fix the backbone before you completely tank our network!" :)

And --- the lack of a camera is an issue.

Cheers

AT & T just revised their prior statements about video on their network and have given the go ahead for Sling to work over 3G. I see an iPad with a camera in our future...would be nice if it was part of the 3G release.

C

chas_m

I have to be honest and further admit that I *very* rarely use the iSight camera to do any videochatting. I like having the *option,* but in real life I much prefer audio chatting.

So the iPad's lack of a cam doesn't really bother me. If it had lacked a MIC I would have been upset.

PS. "Fixing" the cam problem is a matter of sticking one on the dock connector and holding the iPad "upside down." You *have* to know that people like Griffin are working on this already, so again it's kind of a non-issue IMHO.

TWM

Reaction score
You would think people would want flash player so they can go to all websites, and not worry about a camera lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I read that article too. I think this is Apple attempt to milk the first as much as they can from the first generation since there are people who will buy it no matter what the ipad comes out with in it's first generation.
I think you're 100% right.
After all Apple has a long history of doing this. Just look at the first iPhone. It began life at the astronomical price of $600. Then to add to the madness, Steve robbed his loyal customers of many easy to include features that _should_ have been included like 3G. At that time 95% of all smartphones already had 3G, copy & paste, and other features missing from the iPhone. Apple vacuumed the wallets of the follower
s.
Then when sales slowed (which Apple denied) they slashed the price by $200 further cheating the early adopters as their $600 iPhone instantly collapsed in value. A slap that no other manufacturer has hit their customers with. But hey Steve's getting richer and customers just take it with a smile. So who cares?...heh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2 Duo 4Gb Ram / Powermac G5 2 TB RAID , 16GB Ram Running Leopard
You would think people would want flash player so they can go to all websites, and not worry about a camera lol.

I have to agree I would much rather the iPad and iPhone/Pod have flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Am I the only person who thinks a camera would be kind of useless for this anyways??? I can't feasibly imagine myself carrying something the size of an ipad and whipping it out to take a quick picture. Sure its a nice package feature, but I'd hardly **** and moan about not getting a camera ever on one.

Reaction score
I must be the only person who is happier it doesn't have a camera. I hate when I'm on my computer and I see that eye staring at me. It's hard getting comfortable in front of my laptop knowing someone might be secretly recording me on the other end...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.