Part of my hard drive is missing

Reaction score
I am using an old iMac from about 2007 that I recently got, I am running Lion and even though it has a 320GB hard drive it is not all showing up. Can someone help me, here is what my disc utility looks like

f2srF.png

I tried dragging down that blue box to extend the size of the partition, but when I hit apply it doesn't work. I think I have a missing partition or something.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't adjust partitions when the hard drive is mounted. Boot the machine from the original install recovery disk, enter Disk Utility from the disk and then adjust the partition. It will work.

OP
T
Reaction score
I did what you said, booted in recovery mode then went into disk utility, then it said "cannot unmount drive"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As stated you need the system install disc to boot from. You cannot do this when you are booted from the hard drive. There is a difference between using the install disc and recovery.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok now I downloaded Lion from the mac app store so I do not have a disc for lion which I am currently running. Would my snow leopard disk work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes it would have however if you have purchased Lion and did a clean install after making a USB thumb drive of Lion, would not bother.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.