Create a second partition...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
I have a PowerMac G5 (NOT Intel) with an 80GB HD, and I use Photoshop a lot, and I too often look and find myself with 241 MB free space on my hard drive.

So I want to create a seperate 20GB partition, and use that as my scratch disk. How would I go about doing so?

If it was the MacBook, I would just use the Boot Camp utility to create the second partition. But since that won't work on the G5, is there a similar app I could download that would create a second partition without erasing the HD?

If I did it with Disk Utility on the OS X Install DVD, would that erase everything on the hard drive?

What should I do???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
corysw said:
I have a PowerMac G5 ...If I did it with Disk Utility on the OS X Install DVD, would that erase everything on the hard drive?

What should I do???
Yes, it would. Then again, that is about your only option.
You are better off getting more RAM, IMO.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I already have 3GB of RAM. The problem is that the Photoshop temp files get really big, so I want them to have their own place, so as not to risk running out of space on the startup volume.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.