Lion on new Mac vs performance on old Mac with SL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Hi'yall!

I've had my lovely new MBP for a couple of months now with Lion
I upgraded from my 2007 MacBook with SL.

And...
I'm noticing a great performance difference - in the MacBooks favour
What is up with that?

Lemme list the spec difference quickly:
MacBook Pro VS my ancient MacBook
2,2 ghz i7 vs 2,16 C2D
4 GB RAM vs 3 GB RAM
1 GB graphics vs almost non-existing graphics
750 GB HDD vs 120 GB HDD

Im noticing that the MacBook boots and shuts down a lot faster, and for instance opening PDF's and images in preview is almost instant - same with system apps. But on the MBP - opening things in preview - takes forever, and we're talking 3-6 seconds (both being freshly booted - ie nothing in RAM :) )

How can this be?
When i got the MBP i restored it from the MacBooks time machine - and when I thought that that was a bad thing, I formatted the MBP and transferred everything manually...

Can someone please enlighten me on this?
Its driving me insane that i spent over 18000 DKK on this lovely and sexy machine :p

Reaction score
the truth is that Lion is slooooooow compared to Snow Leopard, I have a 2011 MBP which had SL installed when I got it and it was always fast then I upgraded to Lion, noticed it was very slow so I did a fresh install of Lion but omg its still so slow :(

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Oh lord - so its not just me :(

Sad fact: I cant live without a lot of the new Lion function - Like fullscreen preview when im reading ebooks for school on my MBP - I have ADHD and it helps me a lot to stay focused and not goofing around on facebook :p

But I still dabble with the idea of installing SL on it since I still have the install DVD for it :)

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed - I so don't have the money for and SSD right now, I just started studying again and just paid for school trip to NYC and saving for a DSLR O_O

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
meh - ill just install Vista on it - It seems faster these days :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Harry!

Well - I actually tried a clean install - no difference what so ever :(

LBM

Reaction score
Is it possible to install the f.o.c copy on another MAC ? Is it legal ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.