**Feedback on Logos**

Reaction score
Good day ,

I commissioned a logo to be designed, and after going through initial concepts, was left with three logos that I like, and can't seem to decide which way to go !

Would you all care to look help me decide ?:wink:

Which one would YOU pick as the final design, and why ?

i have posted a poll as well -

I like them ALL, it's a real bummer trying to pick one.

( note, I'm not a designer. I would like designer opinions on what would be the "best" logo to go for.)

LOGO 1

280mfrt.jpg

LOGO 2

2wc43tz.jpg

LOGO 3

2uxu6o8.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
None of these are logos.
However, they are closer to what is known as a logo treatment... basically a dressed up version of a logo.

An actual logo should be able to stand on its own, with only one color... black and white... positive and negative spaces.
Take a look at logos for Coca-Cola, Nike, Adidas, Dolce & Gabbana, Ralph Lauren, ... heck, even Apple's logo or the logo for this very forum.
Treatments can be added to "spice" up these logos, but they are all easily recognizable even if only one color is used.

In my opinion, the only treatment of the three shown that could begin to hold up to that would be the third one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
I agree with the above post. You want something simple that will be very versatile, with and without colour.

I do like the font, making the third logo a possibility without the detailed illustration. Or, you could attempt to make a simplified version of it and keep it in the logo.

OP
F
Reaction score
Well, the Logofactory ( the logo designers ) are known for their illustrative logos, I understand what you mean by logo having simplicity.

But does a logo being a bit more illustrative mean it's NOT a logo ?

Many mascot logos are highly illustrative and more than one color.

I'm interested in hearing more from the community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
But does a logo being a bit more illustrative mean it's NOT a logo ?

Many mascot logos are highly illustrative and more than one color.
Yes, it does mean it's not a just a logo. It is a treatment.

I know you are not the one who created this, but I am a designer myself and it surprises me how many other graphic designers don't seem to know the difference between the two.

If by mascot logos, you mean something like NFL team and such... take a look at the logo for the Philadelphia Eagles as one example.
I have attached two versions to this post. One is a logo, the other a logo treatment.

Another example is Coca-Cola.
Again, I've attached the logo and a logo treatment.

Sure you can stylize it more and add colors, gradients, shadows, highlights and other enhancements but as you will see, a true logo can stand on its own with just one color.
That way, it could be used on letterhead and other stationery, business cards, decals and not need to be completely stylized.
As a business owner, this can save you money on printing and using your logo on promotional materials.

If your third option was simplified to something like this it might work:
2uxu6o8.png

It would still be a little "busy" with the image of the ruins, but it might work.

philadelphia_eagles_logo-1.jpg

Coca-Cola_Logo.jpg

eagles_logo_2.png

Coca-Cola_logo.png

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks alot Devil, your post was insightful.

Is it possible my designers (thelogofactory) will make two versions, a "dressed up" logo and a simpler one like you mentioned ?

I've seen in their portfolio that's what they do.

Maybe I should bring up the points in this thread to my designer and see what they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
They probably should provide you with both the logo and the treatment.
I took a look at their site and it appears that the ones featured in their online portfolio would work without being stylized.
You could ask them to see a version of each without any treatment done to it, just to see how each would fare without being stylized.

I'm certainly not suggesting that they are guilty of this, but I have seen a lot of designers only offer a stylized treatment to clients and attempt to wow them with a meticulously detailed presentation.
While this is impressive and often wins over the client, those same logos tend to lose their effectiveness when that treatment is removed.

You should really shoot for your logo to come off strong on its own.
A logo shouldn't need a treatment in order for it to "work" and appeal to your customers.
If you can be satisfied with the logo in its raw form, and feel that it will effectively convey your company's message to customers that way, then a treatment can only enhance that.

OP
F
Reaction score
Devil, thanks again for your input.

You know your stuff, and I get your jist.

If I wanted to "wow" my customers with my website, stationary, and promotional materials, which do u think is the best ?

I will use the simpler version for faxes,generic correspondence, checks, etc (number 3 as you suggested, very good simplification you did !)

But for the website and stationary ( and suppose printing costs are not as important, as impressing customers), would it be ok to use a "dressed up" logo ?

Maybe have it printed on travel bags, mugs, caps, etc ?

OP
F
Reaction score
Oh, this was the FIRST logo concet provided, i passed on it because I thought the colors were too dull and didn't have energy.

Devil, what do you think of this logo, better or worse than the 3 concepts above ?

34xkk91.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I'm no expert, but I think that one looks better than any of the others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
When looking into branding your company you should always employ a branding professional not a graphic designer. Branding professionals have one job, and that is to aid in the creation of a brand for use by your company. They should ask you a lot of very important questions regarding your business including where you see it in 5 years. This will help to create a brand for you company that will remain strong throughout the life span of your company. The worst thing you want to do is create a brand and later when you realize your business has evolved or moved in a different direction that you have to have another brand design made. This could confuse customers and even drive them away.

I am neither a GD or a BP but this topic was covered thoroughly at a marketing seminar I attended over the summer. And the biggest piece of advice that was given on the topic was this. If you and your business are still in the early stages, you generally do not want make a brand for yourself just yet. Use simple text until you have a clear vision of what your business is and will be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Oh, this was the FIRST logo concet provided, i passed on it because I thought the colors were too dull and didn't have energy.

Devil, what do you think of this logo, better or worse than the 3 concepts above ?

34xkk91.jpg

for me that is a little harder to read than the third option, or what devil boy provided. The thing is, that will look the same no matter where you use it, with complex designs you have the problem of needing to maintain several versions depending on where you use it and it won't always look good in print ... you just need to keep it simple

anyway, the third option does look really good, I don't want to sound all critical, because it really isn't that bad :)

btw, what building is is supposed to be? it looks like a colloseum, but I always thought that to be part of Italy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air

34xkk91.jpg

I really like this one the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I don't like the one posted above me. The third one is the best.

OP
F
Reaction score
for me that is a little harder to read than the third option, or what devil boy provided. The thing is, that will look the same no matter where you use it, with complex designs you have the problem of needing to maintain several versions depending on where you use it and it won't always look good in print ... you just need to keep it simple

anyway, the third option does look really good, I don't want to sound all critical, because it really isn't that bad :)

btw, what building is is supposed to be? it looks like a colloseum, but I always thought that to be part of Italy :)

Libya has the best preserved Roman ruins outside of Rome.

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD

Thats definately the best from a versatility point of view.

I've just had some fleeces and polo shirts made and had to do ALOT of simplification of our company logo to make it stitchable.

We have another company which we had some polo shirts made and the logo for that company was alot simpler but more complicated. By that I mean, a more intricate design but not stylised. That logo went off and the first proof that came back was fine.

The last one I've had done took 3 proofs before I said ok and had the stitching done.

My point here is kinda go with stylised logo 3 and the logo above.
And if your getting caps and polo's and basically anything wearable then PLEASE have it stitched. Printing, no matter how good just doesn't look as good. And certainly won't do in a couple of years time.
I still have some of the first polo's we had made and they're 4 years old. The logo looks as good as day one. Granted, the colour of the shirts has faded but the logo is still strong and proud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
not to highjack the thread i am just trying to better understand this. i just recently made a logo/brand for a made up company but would the first one be the logo or the second.. and the third would be the treatment?

logos.jpg

i wanna be a good designer like DevilBoy, i might not have seen your work but you know what you are talking about.

Reaction score
the first is your logo, the third is a treatment. the second has no purpose. You have no idea of the implications of the "color drips" without color so no one would get the cmyk reference.

On a side note seeing the logo big like this show some thing you might want to look at as opposed to how I saw it small in the other post.

In the 2nd version it makes it more obvious but color breaks on the edge of the r and c. It makes a very distracting tangent maybe move your text around to keep that from happening. And I think I would tighten the leading between the two words. I think it will bring them together as one element.

OP
F
Reaction score
bump ---

I had my logo redesigned, and it's much better than the old one. Here is the new logo, 2 versions.

2i6gzr6.jpg

2ur40zk.jpg

I've already purchased and trademarked both marks - but can't decide which one to use for the rebranding !

The new logos are similar, with one having a swoosh , and the other two dots . I think they both look great and fresh, and immeasurably superior to the old logo , which looks terrible compared to the new logos.

The new logos as you can see are clean, simple, scalable, works well in black and white, and somewhat distinctive.

Give me your opinions on which is the better logo - the swoosh, or the dots version ?

For disclosure, the dots aren't simply decorative -- they mean something.

In Arabic, the letter y, which is called "ya",is spelled with two dots under it.

Here is "Libya" written in Arabic script, and where the two dots are derived from -

ليبيا

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.