Fans going crazy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB RAM
Hey,
I have a Macbook Pro 2.13Ghz, 2GB RAM (I added 1GB myself).
Recently my fans have been running ridiculously. I just converted a 6mb YouTube video with iSquint, and the fans reached 6000rpm. Massive. They very often push 4000rpm. This is all when the computer is on a wooden desk with good ventilation.
Any idea why this is happening?
Cheers,
Eddy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
because it is getting hot.

converting things in iSquint will do that. its normal

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB RAM
Well maybe its normal with iSquint, but I just rebooted and I have adium, itunes and safari open and the fans were again at 6000rpm. The temperature was around 52C. Should I take it in to apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well maybe its normal with iSquint, but I just rebooted and I have adium, itunes and safari open and the fans were again at 6000rpm. The temperature was around 52C. Should I take it in to apple?
Again, that is well within normal ranges. Some folks have their up to 70ºC and higher. There is nothing wrong with the temperature range of your notebook.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB RAM
Thats not my point. My point is that my fans are running at 6000rpm. They are massively audible, very annoying. If it is within normal ranges why are the fans running at full blast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
have you given it time to cool down?

just because you reboot, doesnt mean the fans need to go off.

let it cool down. they will go off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Since, you added 1 Gig yourself, im assuming you have a Core Duo MBP, right?

Anyways, I suggest you try to either let your computer cool down, or just turn it off, and when its cool, turn it on. If the fans reach 6000 RPM under NORMAL usage (browser, chat, etc.) you should get it checked out, it might be an issue (since Core Duo MBP fans run at 1000 RPM)

Let me know what your results are after leaving it off for a while.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB RAM
I left it off overnight, been using it abit today and it was alright. Right now it is 48 degrees C and the fans are running at 5000rpm. Definitely not right.
When I rang apple they said look at the Page ins/out in Activity Monitor. The outs are above 0, at 641. Could there be something wrong with the memory that is causing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
My fans don't generally run this quickly, I just checked iStatNano which says my CPU is about 74º (pretty normal, it generally runs 65-75 unless I'm playing Warcraft and/or using Parallels in which case it hovers about 79) and the fans are almost silent at ~1000rpm. They get up to 6000-9000 when my CPU goes above 78º.

Of course one of them is starting to grind, so I'll be backing up my HD in the next few days and utilising my AppleCare. I'm hoping to get a new logic board because I've got the hum when running on battery...

FYI, my ins and outs are way higher than yours: over 1m ins and over 600k outs. I've got 2g memory and last night was running Parallels (with 768mb dedicated to XP) and Warcraft simultaneously. It's simply a matter of fact that your system is going to be swapping if you try to use more memory than you physically have. These are also cumulative numbers since your last boot, so the longer your system is up, the higher the page count.

I suspect you pulled those numbers as soon as your system came up.

If there was something physically wrong with your memory, you would be more likely experiencing random reboots (or your system wouldn't boot at all). I'm also not sure why Apple was comparing your CPU Fan speed with page swapping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I left it off overnight, been using it abit today and it was alright. Right now it is 48 degrees C and the fans are running at 5000rpm
I'm running smcFanControl right now and have a temperature of 54C with the fans running at just under 1000rpm.

If you're using a similar tool, perhaps you have set it to run high for some reason and forgot? If not, I'd take it into Apple for a check up. 6000rpm seems to be the maximum the fans can run at. If you are not doing anything challenging, they shouldn't be maxing out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've had the same problems. The fans began running extremely fast a lot. I downloaded Fan Control and found that the fans were running that way for no reason, meaning the temp wasn't anywhere outside its normal range; not even any hotter than when the fans hardly run at all.

I went to the "genius bar" at the Apple store and the "genius" told me to run updates, same thing they always say. And then when that doesn't work, "well, it shouldn't be a problem". Yeah, until the fans give out 3 days after the warranty expires.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
I'm a Mac newbie but an old PC tech. Do you live or work in a dusty environment?

Have you made sure you do not have dust in the fan/heat sink?

Shoot some canned air through it, I've seen a little bit of dust or cat hair shoot CPU temps up like crazy......... These Intels run warm to start with, but be glad you didn't have to deal with the original Pentium Ms. I had a Dell that went like a blow drier, and ate three sets of fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I was looking at my widgets and they just jumped to 6000. Still sitting around 5000. Weird.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.