• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Got me a new car:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Got it 4 days ago, but just recently got a chance to take some pics due to the non stop rain/snow. 2011 Honda Accord Crosstour EX-L AWD. White Diamond Pearl, on black leather. This thing loves to pummel snow! Best car I've owned yet. Very happy :D Drove in the valley for 3 hours last night...didn't want to stop...just drove even though I didn't know where I was.
IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Sweet! :)

Congratulations.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Congrats! Enjoy that new car smell (it's the most expensive scent in the world!).

Love my Hondas, I'm sure you'll have many years of luck with yours as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
That puts my "new" Toyota Echo to shame :(

Hahaha!

'Grats on the new wheels, it's very nice, I gotta say! I actually just saw one of these recently in my area for the first time, very nice looking machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Got it 4 days ago, but just recently got a chance to take some pics due to the non stop rain/snow. 2011 Honda Accord Crosstour EX-L AWD. White Diamond Pearl, on black leather. This thing loves to pummel snow! Best car I've owned yet. Very happy :D Drove in the valley for 3 hours last night...didn't want to stop...just drove even though I didn't know where I was.

Wouldn't you really rather have an iPad 2???;)

Congrats on the new car...always a special time!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Congratulations! I love taking pictures of my cars when they're new. I go overboard, shooting the clean engine, the trunk (once with my kid in it, he also was shot "driving" it) and from all angles. Once I was up on my roof and the still relatively new van was in the driveway. It was one of those "ah ha" moments. Great snapshot.

I'm also in the process of car shopping right now. It's narrowed down to the Honda CR-V or the Mitsubishi Outlander. The Honda would be less expensive for what we want on it, and don't need to have. Honda's trim lines and packages are more flexible. But, I really want the Outlander!

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wouldn't you really rather have an iPad 2???;)

Congrats on the new car...always a special time!!!:)

- Nick

LOL. No joke, I was actually thinking of taking the $1,500(down money) and buying a new mac...but in the end, I realized the one I have has never let me down:) MSRP: $35290. Out of door price: $30900 tax included.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

I need to have a shout-out to John at Jack Matia Honda in Elyria, Oh, as well as the dealer itself. They took care of business, like no other dealer has ever before! Very professional! Though it took 1 solid day to negotiate the deal, he never went away from it, and eventually came to an agreeable term...unlike the Toyota dealer...omg...

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Congratulations! I love taking pictures of my cars when they're new. I go overboard, shooting the clean engine, the trunk (once with my kid in it, he also was shot "driving" it) and from all angles. Once I was up on my roof and the still relatively new van was in the driveway. It was one of those "ah ha" moments. Great snapshot.

I'm also in the process of car shopping right now. It's narrowed down to the Honda CR-V or the Mitsubishi Outlander. The Honda would be less expensive for what we want on it, and don't need to have. Honda's trim lines and packages are more flexible. But, I really want the Outlander!

Honestly, coming from just having tested all Mitsu. suv's prior to getting my car, forget them! They are way overpriced for what you are getting/aren't getting. I'm not sure how you are optioning out the CRV, but that car is built like a rock! The CRV is one of the most, if not the most, reliable car to come with 4 wheels! I would pick it over any mitsu. in a heart beat. If your price budget is around 25k, the CRV is nice. If it's 30k, at least drive the Crosstour...just for fun. The driving experience is totally different, actually very similar to driving an Acura(in term of solid ride, with absolutely no vibrations/weird rattling). I would rather get a base Crosstour, than a fully loaded CRV, strictly based on how it drives and how much rear seating room it has(A LOT!!!). That's just my 2 shinny pennies:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Very nice car. :) Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
I'm a moderator at 2 honda forums in Bulgaria and in my opinion and experience there's no other brand that makes their cars more solid and reliable then Honda. I have a 98' civic with 170 hp under the hood and there is no mac that can give me the same happiness as my custom made Honda.
Enjoy your car, you have made an excellent choice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I was actually thinking of taking the $1,500(down money) and buying a new mac...but in the end, I realized the one I have has never let me down:) MSRP: $35290. Out of door price: $30900 tax included.

Just thought of this. $1500 down on a $30,900 car...those have got to be some pretty painful monthly car payments...unless you got this thing financed for like 10 years!;)

And if so...you'll end up paying like $40,000-$45,000 when all is said & done.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Snazzy car. I would have censored the plates though. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Honestly, coming from just having tested all Mitsu. suv's prior to getting my car, forget them! They are way overpriced for what you are getting/aren't getting. I'm not sure how you are optioning out the CRV, but that car is built like a rock! The CRV is one of the most, if not the most, reliable car to come with 4 wheels! I would pick it over any mitsu. in a heart beat. If your price budget is around 25k, the CRV is nice. If it's 30k, at least drive the Crosstour...just for fun. The driving experience is totally different, actually very similar to driving an Acura(in term of solid ride, with absolutely no vibrations/weird rattling). I would rather get a base Crosstour, than a fully loaded CRV, strictly based on how it drives and how much rear seating room it has(A LOT!!!). That's just my 2 shinny pennies:)

Thanks for your input. I'll try to find info about the Crosstour. I really liked the Outlander's continuously variable transmission. It's a gimmick, but it's cool. You can shift like a manual (either with the shift stick, or the paddles at the steering wheel) without needing a clutch. You might be right about the price. Plus, to insure the higher end model I'd have to get to have AWC (aka 4WD) would cost me about $120 more per year. I'm looking at the lower end of the luxury spectrum, but the "base" CR-V has everything I "need".

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your input. I'll try to find info about the Crosstour. I really liked the Outlander's continuously variable transmission. It's a gimmick, but it's cool. You can shift like a manual (either with the shift stick, or the paddles at the steering wheel) without needing a clutch. You might be right about the price. Plus, to insure the higher end model I'd have to get to have AWC (aka 4WD) would cost me about $120 more per year. I'm looking at the lower end of the luxury spectrum, but the "base" CR-V has everything I "need".

Tip: Stay away from any Honda with variable cylinder management (VCM). There are issues with oil consumption that Honda has yet to deal with. My '10 Pilot drinks a quart of oil every 4000 miles or so. Very un-Honda-like, and I'm not alone.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
1 quart every 4 thousand miles? That's not much. Less than 10 bucks to drive 4 thousand miles...on a reliable engine...can't really complain about that, unless the usage of oil starts to increase, then you have a problem. We had a 2005 Odyssey EXL, when the first VCM engine came out it. We owned it for about 85,000 miles. It used up about 3/4 of a quart every 4-5k miles, consistently. That engine actually felt like it drove better with 80k miles than when we first got it. If an engine was designed to not use oil, that oil usage would not be so consistent for each engine. Most engines that use extra oil due to their lower friction piston springs(let oil in and out, instead of a higher friction ring that only keeps the oil within the lower boundaries(no escape, no oil burned/used), under normal conditions, have a lower life in terms of miles/rpms. My dad works at a company here in Cleveland that builds, modifies, and refurbishes airplane/multi-ton train or factory ship engines. He mentioned that when companies come in to ask for a new/rebuild engine, if their engine needs to be bullet proof, they, themselves ask that the engine burns oil because they know they will last longer. The others who don't want engine oil to escape are usually companies that have to meet a certain emission standard due to other factors. They build engines to specifically "waste" a certain amount of oil to insure that all the surface of the piston and cylinder get treated with oil, and also use negative electroplating to add a spiral staircase of holes so that the oil can fill in to ensure the whole cylinder/piston is coated equally. I think I might have gotten carried away a bit...:)

Honda won't have a fix for this because its designed to work that way. If they do fix it, it could lead to a shorter engine life. Which will bring an un-need problem. But, that's assuming someones point of view after reading about Honda's change to a lower friction ring on their V6's and a change to 0-w20 oil...apparently, that's a tell-tale sign to engine builder. I'd like to repeat something that I think is the most important thing here: Oil being used at a consistent rate, is not bad for an engine, might be bad for someone's budget, but in terms of calling that engine a "bad engine," it's kind of silly. It's only when the engine starts increasing the rate of oil consumption that you need to rebuild it(which ironically is usually caused by higher friction rings)...

As for the car, I've been having a blast with it so far!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, thanks for that - makes me feel a little better about it. Just never had a car that I really had to worry about checking oil level on before. But then again, with every other car, I had been changing oil at 3750 mile intervals - and on the Pilot, I'm using the Maintenance Minder, which has me on 6000-7000 mile intervals. So, I guess it makes sense that I'm actually noticing oil consumption.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That is true as well. I still have my Passat. It burns about 1 quart every 3 thousand miles, but it is turbo-charged, which uses the engine oil to cool down the turbo...so it's expected. I change the oil once every 10,000 miles(recommended my VW), and add 3 quarts between that interval. I only have 33,000 miles on it so far, and has been very consistent in oil usage, and drives incredibly well...though its still like new. Also, as you said, people who do an oil change every 3,000 miles don't normally notice oil usage because they just put new oil in it. It's been one of my favorite engines ever!

On a side note, do you know why I can't edit my post? It goes to the edit screen, but pressing the "save" button does nothing. It's like a button that has not been linked properly. Does this on all my computers. I was going to put "I just went out and knocked on the tallest tree I could find" on my last post.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On a side note, do you know why I can't edit my post? It goes to the edit screen, but pressing the "save" button does nothing. It's like a button that has not been linked properly. Does this on all my computers. I was going to put "I just went out and knocked on the tallest tree I could find" on my last post.

That is weird - no, I'm not sure. Just tried it on my last post and it seems OK here. Using the same browser on all of the computers?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That is weird - no, I'm not sure. Just tried it on my last post and it seems OK here. Using the same browser on all of the computers?

Been using the lastest version of Safari/Firefox on my macs, and Firefox on the HP. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. When it does it, though, the edit screen doesn't load to a new screen, it just downsizes onto the same page. I'll get a screenshot next time it happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.