Join .avi files. Which current app ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yes, I've searched the forum. The last relevant thread on this topic links to two names of apps which might work. One of them is ffmpegX, and the latest version of that software dates back to January of 08'. The other mentioned was D-Vision 3, and while it's up to an Alpha 7 version which is dated April of this year, it's still an Alpha. The last stable version of it dates back to 2006.

This brings me to the question of whether or not there is a more recently made app which will join 2 .avi files for me ? They're already un-rar'd, and produced ***.avi and ***2.avi

Ideas ? I'm still going to try Dvision, but it might prove to be dated. ffmgegX just seems like it requires too many other codec downloads and things for me to be bothered with it. No patience for stuff like that.

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks louis. I should have remembered that I tried this app a few days ago and could not get on with it at all. It just kept giving me some error and no matter what I tried it wouldn't change. Not a very self explanatory GUI either. But the good news is that D-Vision is awesome, considering that the stable version works so well, and that its GUI is so intuitive especially for having been released in 2006 !

I just tried it and in 2 minutes or less my two 650 MB .avi files were merged without an glitch. Maybe I'll try and figure out the mystery behind the one you linked at another time, or if D-Vision ever fails me. Thanks !

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It maybe that MPEG streamclip needs a little help with codecs, there is a free product called Perian that extends Quicktime's codec support, and that will also help any other video programs that rely on Quicktime for video codec support

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Already have Perian for QT, so that's not it. It could very well be that it was user error, but I'll have to figure that one out at some other time should D-Vision fail me. Otherwise, for the absolutely tiny amount of file joining I do, D-Vision is perfect. It seems it would likely be perfect for large amounts of joining as well though, of course.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.