• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macs and headaches

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
How can one tell if general use of your Mac is giving you a headache? And if so what can you do about it? Because I have a friend who gets sever headaches anytime he uses his imac. And I might be having the same problem. I don't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
How can one tell if general use of your Mac is giving you a headache? And if so what can you do about it? Because I have a friend who gets sever headaches anytime he uses his imac. And I might be having the same problem. I don't know.

wow..are you sure it's not something else that's causing the headaches? My mac tends to relieve my headaches cause it's just so dang easy on the eyes :)

I think it may be something else :p

EDIT: is this the same "friend" you bought a mac for? ;)

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes it is. But I just got him a refurbished ipod classic instead of a Mac. Cause be bought himself an imac. Thought the whole idea of a present of a mac was way too much.

Anyways the something else notion could be something. As I tend to drink heaps of water. But not when I use my imac. Could be 5 hours or maybe more and I don't get up for anything. I could just be getting dehydrated. I'll bet myself a massaive water bottle to have next to my imac. That might work.

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I know many windows users with this problem.

I suggest he get an eye dr exam.... he may need glasses, or if he has them he may need a different prescription for viewing the monitor up close.

My eyes have changed recently. the glasses I use for driving do not work when viewing the monitor.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know many windows users with this problem.

I suggest he get an eye dr exam.... he may need glasses, or if he has them he may need a different prescription for viewing the monitor up close.

My eyes have changed recently. the glasses I use for driving do not work when viewing the monitor.

Agreed. If he hasn't had an eye exam in some time, it may be worth a shot. You'd be amazed how you don't notice how poorly you're seeing until you have good correction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I have that problem too, but I think it's from sitting in front of the computer too long. You could also try turning the brightness down on the monitor.

Just a thought. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I had the same thing until I started looking away a few times every so often. I just look away from the computer and focus on something else in the room for a little bit. Someone told me about this "trick" and it absolutely works. Do it like 3-4 times an hour or so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I get severe headaches from everything, not just Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.