Missing (hidden) devices in Finder Sidebar - OS X Lion

Reaction score
I had this problem and found it very irritating and I just happened on the solution luckily after a few hours of troubleshooting. So I thought I'd save other people the grief and despair by posting the solution that worked for me...

Problem:
When inserting a CD or plugging in a flash drive nothing was showing up in the "Devices" section of the finder sidebar, despite having enabled those items in the "Sidebar" section of the Finder preferences.

Solution:
The solution was really simple but not obvious since the option to show "hidden" items in the sidebar is, wait for it, wait for it... hidden. To make matters worse there are no visual queues in finder to indicate there are items that are hidden.

So to show hidden items, all you need to do is mouse over the category in question and click the "show" text that appears. Once you click "show" your items should appear in the finder.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've gotten bitten by this recently as I switched between Macs. Something visible on one was hidden on the other. You're right there is, as far as I can tell, no indication hidden items are present. I only realized it because I plugged in a flash drive anne it did not appear in the sidebar as expected.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad that fixed things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.