iPod touch white screen?

Reaction score
I have read things about people having problems with their iPod touches freezing, and having a white screen pop up.

I have gotten the white screen 3 times now, but it doesn't totally freeze. It only happens when I'm trying to turn off my iPod. I'll hold the botton down, slide it over to shut it off, and it acts like it's shut off just fine. Then a few seconds later I get the white screen. Then I just turn it on, and shut it back off again and it's fine.

Do you think this is something to worry about? It doesn't really bother me, but if it's gonna lead to other problems I'm gonna go exchange it.

Also- if I ordered it online would they let me exchange it in-store if I had to?

OP
D
Reaction score
OK so I exchanged it on Monday.
Now, on Wednesday, the new one is starting to do the same thing.

Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I assume this is a 2G iPod Touch? I've yet to see this behavior, but then, I rarely turn mine completely off. Instead, I just hit the top button to blank the screen and let the power management do its thing. Are you running 2.2 on it?

OP
D
Reaction score
I assume this is a 2G iPod Touch? I've yet to see this behavior, but then, I rarely turn mine completely off. Instead, I just hit the top button to blank the screen and let the power management do its thing. Are you running 2.2 on it?

Yeah, it's the 2G and I'm running 2.2.
When I got the first one, I had to do a free software update in iTunes to get 2.2. With the second one I got, it was already on there. So I know the second one is a newer one.

I'm just really confused as to why I've had this problem with two in a row. One was ordered from online, and the other I got from the Apple store. So it's not like I just got a couple from one bad batch, ya know?

You don't think a certain app could be causing it do you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I have just got one, had it for 4 days and all is great, no problems, could it be an "App" that you have put on causing the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
i have the white screen problem on mine, but it is frozen... i have the 32 GB touch. i posted in another thread but this seems more relevant. anyone know how to get this problem taken care of?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have the white screen problem on mine, but it is frozen... i have the 32 GB touch. i posted in another thread but this seems more relevant. anyone know how to get this problem taken care of?

Interesting. I haven't had this problem yet - and in fact, what problems I did have were resolved by the 2.2 firmware (mostly related to volume settings and wi-fi issues with WPA encryption). It's possible that you just have a defective unit.

Does the problem occur after doing a restore and without any third party apps installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
Interesting. I haven't had this problem yet - and in fact, what problems I did have were resolved by the 2.2 firmware (mostly related to volume settings and wi-fi issues with WPA encryption). It's possible that you just have a defective unit.

Does the problem occur after doing a restore and without any third party apps installed?

i haven't done a restore, and i do have some apps on there. i'm using the 2.2 firmware

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i haven't done a restore, and i do have some apps on there. i'm using the 2.2 firmware

I would do a restore, but don't install any 3rd party apps. Test for a couple of days and see if you run into it again. If you do, it's likely you have a defective unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
problem reslved, for now. i let the battery die and when i started recharging it the touch worked just fine.

Reaction score
i have gotton the same problem also but i did a sys. restore or restore from backup. and it worked for now
this is also my second one

Reaction score
the same apps

Yeah, it's the 2G and I'm running 2.2.
When I got the first one, I had to do a free software update in iTunes to get 2.2. With the second one I got, it was already on there. So I know the second one is a newer one.

I'm just really confused as to why I've had this problem with two in a row. One was ordered from online, and the other I got from the Apple store. So it's not like I just got a couple from one bad batch, ya know?

You don't think a certain app could be causing it do you?

well lets see what apps all of us have in common im going to start another thread and lets start listing the apps we have in common

OP
D
Reaction score
well lets see what apps all of us have in common im going to start another thread and lets start listing the apps we have in common

Here's a list of the apps I have right now:

AIM
AP Mobile News
Bible
BlocksClassic Lite
Brain Toot (free version)
Brain Tuner
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Cart
Facebook
Files Lite
Google Earth
Google Mobile App
Graphic Calculator
HiCalc Lite
i.TV
Jelly Car
Labrynth Lite Edition
Line Rider iRide
Mandelbrot
Myspace Mobile
NYTimes
Palringo
Quick Graph
Remote
Rock 'n' Roll Lite
Shakespeare
The Snow Report
Spore Origins
Tap Tap Revenge
Topple
Urbanspoon
US National Debt
The Weather Channel
WebMD Mobile
Wiki Tap
WordPress

And out of those, here is a list of apps I'm PRETTY sure I didn't have when I first started having the white screen problem:

BlocksClassic Lite
Jelly Car
Labrynth Lite Edition
Line Rider iRide
Mandelbrot
Rock 'n' Roll Lite
The Weather Channel
WebMD Mobile

Reaction score
Not to highjack, but since this was the top Google search for "white screen iPod touch 2g" I just thought I'd note that some of the 2G Touch units are having a hardware problem causing permanent white screen when on, even though they are NOT frozen.

I am in the process of returning mine to Apple and found others with similar problems when I looked. None of the normal resets, etc did anything, including a full reset to factory. Interestingly, even with the screen white the input part of the touch screen works. If I can guess which part of the page I am on I can turn up the speaker and hear it responding. iTunes also recognizes it and can tell me when it is charging, change what is installed on it, etc.

If someone is finding this from Google and is having a similar issue, make sure to call Apple care if resets and/or a backup/restore cycle doesn't do the job. Apple Care telephone and Genius bar folks both were unsurprised by the issue, although none went so far as to say it was a common problem.

Mine was a <2 month old 8GB iPod Touch 2G, not roughly treated and using a hard case and screen protector. Don't think apps were the cause as nothing changes when I reverted it to factory settings, reset, etc.

W

Reaction score
I guess I can be added to the list of people with this problem. I was sitting on a weight machine at the gym when I dropped it. It fell perhaps two feet onto a rubber coated floor. It had a hard case surrounding it. This seemed to be a pretty casual fall to me. Nevertheless, it would only display a white screen. When I returned home I connected it to my MacBook and did a complete restore. It failed to make a difference. I guess I will be calling Apple in the morning to see what they want to do about it. This iPod Touch (32 gig) is less than two months old and has worked flawlessly until this evening. I have to say that I am more than a little disappointed with the iPod's resistance to a very small drop. I am sure that Apple will take care of it but I was hoping for a little more durability than this. I never had a hardware failure like this with my previous PDA type devices.

Reaction score
Well this is interesting...

I was reading on a related thread and there was a link to another forum where someone suggested whacking the iPod once or twice to "restore" it. I thought that since it was, for all intents and purposes, dead, there wasn't anything I could do to hurt it worse. Besides, it is under warranty.

So I did it. I whacked it against my open hand several times. At first I could faintly see part of the screen. After a few more whacks it came back completely.

I guess I will still call Apple in the morning and ask them about it. But for now I am glad I got it back.

I am wondering if maybe this problem has something to do with the accelerometer.

I will return to this thread after I talk to Apple and report on what they say about it.

Reaction score
This morning the screen went white two more times. Each time a small whack to my hand would bring it back.

I called Apple support and they ran me through the same troubleshooting steps from the website that I had already performed. It only took a few minutes and I was patient about it.

The support technician then said that she was going to recommend replacement and that they would be sending me a box to return it in. There is not Apple store within a 4 or 5 hour drive of where I live so a mail-in is pretty much the only option for me.

When I asked the tech said that the white screen issue is very uncommon.

So that's where it's at.

Reaction score
hi everyone i have a 8gb 2nd gen ipod touch and it froze on the white screen last night while i was on the net. my ipod usually freezes while browsing the internet but its just like lag and it would be okay after a few minutes. so wen i had the white screen i didnt no wat it was so i started looking through the net to see if anyone had the same problem.

i tried letting the battery die like other articles told me and left it for approx 8 hrs. i think the battery would of died if it wasnt frozen? but anyways i tried restarting it and it wasnt the white screen anymore. now i gotta charge it but im not sure if its fixed..so maybe restarting might help >_^

Reaction score
To fix the iPod Touch white screen of death, press in the sleep/wake button on the top left of the device, and the big circular home button on the front face on the bottom. Do this for roughly 10 or more seconds and the device should shut down/off. Give if a moment and then restart the device.

Reaction score
To fix the iPod Touch white screen of death, press in the sleep/wake button on the top left of the device, and the big circular home button on the front face on the bottom. Do this for roughly 10 or more seconds and the device should shut down/off. Give if a moment and then restart the device.

I just want to say thank you, i didn't want to restore my iPod or any of that so your tip both saved my iPod (though i could take it to an apple store later today) and saved me a of a lot of time and fuss :D so ... Thanks !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.