Mac Book Pro Video Problems

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Mac Book Pro 17".

Recently the colours/graphics went all wonky, although it looks fine when displaying flat colours or plain text.

I have tried switching between graphics cards using the Energy Saver setting, and both seem to look exactly the same. There are a lot of bright purples and greens, and the dock looks especially pixelated.

Anybody had this problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can you give us a model number of your 17" MacBook Pro? There were two versions of the 17" MBP in 2009. One early, and one mid model.

However both the mid and early model use: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT and GeForce 9400M (The GeForce 9400M shares memory with the system.)

The reason I ask is your particular model MBP may be covered under an Apple extended warranty if it turns out the graphics chipset is defective. (That would require a Logic Board change out.)

OP
O
Reaction score
Model # A1297

17-inch, Mid 2009

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.