Open Office 3 Released: A Review

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I haven't noticed a post for this so I thought I would make one.

Until now I have been an avid fan of NeoOffice. I have used it for the past year to type all of my papers as a senior in college. I always preferred it to OpenOffice for the simple fact that it did not require X11 (more on that here) to run. However recently OpenOffice has released their new version of their word processor which does not require X11, and since I had some time to kill, I thought I would give it a whirl.

I am typically a fan of the age old saying "If it's not broke don't fix it" but when I surfed on over to the OpenOffice webpage I couldn't resist but give it a try. My first concern was that Open Office (Oo) would not recognize my NeoOffice (NeO) files. Like I stated previously, I have been using NeO for a year and have amassed a great deal of files which I wanted to continue to use, but didn't want to have two word processors on my hard drive. I was happily surprised that Oo instantly recognized these files and converted them to the appropriate Oo format.

When I saw that my files were compatiable, I decided it was time to fire up the program. Upon clicking on the Oo icon, I was amazed at how quickly it loaded. I am using a Macbook with the specs on the right, and Oo was fully up and running in two bounces as opposed to NeO's eight bounces plus loading bar. The new version of Oo runs smoothly and loads in a fraction of the time of NeO. What I also liked is that once Oo is launched, it defaults to a menu which allows you to choose which form of file you would like to create (Text, Chart, Drawing, Database, Presentation) instead of forcing you into a text document by default.

Although the above reasons would be good enough to switch in my opinion, what really sold me were Oo's Extensions. These are add-ons that you can download for free to enhance the program. There is a plethora of extensions and templates to download, including a clip art gallery and even an MLA paper template (very useful for students and they have one for nearly every format). So not only do you get more from official releases of the program itself, but people can add to it independently as well.

There are a ton of great features in OpenOffice 3, and I never write at length about anything really on this board, but I absolutely love this new program and had to share.

If you are looking into a new word processing program, or even if you weren't like I wasn't, give this a try. You'll be impressed (NeoOffice pun intended).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
256MB video RAM
I thought the files were not only just compatable but actually the same, since the NeoOffice code is directly based off the OpenOffice.org code.

Anyway for me it appears that the main point that NeoOffice was trying to solve has now been solved in OpenOffice.org, so next year I'll be trying it out for uni. (I'm not keen to switch when I have a paper due in three days - eek!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz 1 GB 667 MHz 120GB hard drive
does it support Hebrew ...
because my friend brought me an Office 2008 and it sucks :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
If you want the best Hebrew support, try Mellel, written by two brothers in Israel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Thanks for the review. I am downloading it now. I'll give it a shot with my resume this weekend. I'm brought it in from Word 2003 and it's been converted into Word 2004 for Mac. I'm going to see how it goes with Oo v3 and NeO v2.5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 15"/2.33GHz/2Gb
Thanks for the review

I have used OO for Ubuntu and its okay. Beats the **** out of paying for Office. But I like the look and feel of NeoOffice better.

Maybe its time to give it another shot and check out OO3 for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Thus far I am having mixed results with Oo. Way too many options that I don't understand. Not Oo's fault mind you, just a reflection of my lack of capacity to adapt I suppose. Apparently Neo v3 is coming soon so there's always the option when it comes out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.