How do I type a path in the finder?

C

cmer

Just got a MacBook Pro and I'm selling all my PCs! I have one little question about the Finder. How can I type a path and go there automatically instead of browsing with the mouse?

On XP, I can type the path in the "address bar" but I don't see that on OS X.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
With Finder activated hit Command+Shift+G.

The command button is the one with the Apple logo on it.

This will bring up a small window where you can then type your path.

Use the ~ symbol to represent your Home folder. Example:

~/Music/Radiohead/

...would take me to my Home folder/Music/Radiohead. Get it? :mac:

Welcome to the forums!

OP
C

cmer

Thanks for the tip! Is there a way to show an address bar in the finder? Would make my life easier. Too many shortcuts to remember at the same time!

Thanks!

surfwax95 said:
With Finder activated hit Command+Shift+G.

The command button is the one with the Apple logo on it.

This will bring up a small window where you can then type your path.

Use the ~ symbol to represent your Home folder. Example:

~/Music/Radiohead/

...would take me to my Home folder/Music/Radiohead. Get it? :mac:

Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
I would also like to know if this is possible. I do know that you can add a drop down menu to the finder (right click on some empty toolbar space and choose customise). Its not a proper addressbar but it lets you atleast find the path of where you are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
zeta101 said:
I would also like to know if this is possible. I do know that you can add a drop down menu to the finder (right click on some empty toolbar space and choose customise). Its not a proper addressbar but it lets you atleast find the path of where you are.

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/ try that program out... best thing ive ever used! You dont have to worry about the finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you can add the folder to your list of folders on the left side of your finder window, just drage the folder you want over there.

there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts, but remembering them all seems a lot easier than knowing the folder heirarchy of each place on your computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea get quicksilver installed its the ultimate app for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Another recommendation for quicksilver...

Think of it as an extremely quick folder finding, application launching, document moving spotlight deluxe...

Reaction score
firsteggprez said:
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/ try that program out... best thing ive ever used! You dont have to worry about the finder

I actually use quicksilver and find it amazing, I especially like how you can send an email in no time at all without even getting to the parts about app launcing and file finding! I do use the finder a lot less because of it but I still feel a little lost by not knowing the path at a glance (since quicksilver is by no means a replacement for the finder in my mind, it just cuts out a lot of the navigating). Maybe it's just a vestige from using windows or the way I organise my files, who knows.

I think the original poster should definately take a look at quicksilver though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.