Connecting HDTV to iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I have a couple of questions about connecting my iMac to my HDTV. I have a 24" iMac with the nVidia 7600GT card and I would like to connect it to my Samsung 40" LCD tv which has 1366x768 native resolution.

1. Can I connect it and run it at HDTV resolutions using an VGA connector? I assume that I can since monitors can connect on this and support higher resolutions that my tv, but I want to be sure before I order an adapter. My tv has a PC input that is VGA and the manual says that it does not support PC connection over the HDMI connection so it seems that connecting over the mini DVI to DVI adapter is out. Obviously the s-video/composite adapter is out as that would only support 480i.

2. Can the iMac output 1366x768 to the tv? That is the native resolution of the TV so that is ideally what I would want to output to it.

Thanks!

-Geoff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have never seen an mini DVI to RGB adapter so I am not sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
In that case you would be fine getting the mini DVI to VGA adapter

C

cb.studios

This is exactly what you need

The new HDMI is a DVI port. It's simple smaller to save space on the in's and out's of things (example: iMacs have that dvi port on the back to save on putting a full DVI plug in). If you want a crisper image you need to use your DVI wich is digital (VGA is not as crisp).

Thats wierd that your manual says that. Your HDTV is nothing but a computer monitor.

What you need to do......

1. Buy the imac DVI to DVI adaptor for the back of the computer.

2. Buy a DVI cable that is the lenghth you'll need it to be to get to your HDTV.

3. Buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor for the TV.

Enjoy !!

OP
geoffstgermaine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
cb.studios said:
The new HDMI is a DVI port. It's simple smaller to save space on the in's and out's of things (example: iMacs have that dvi port on the back to save on putting a full DVI plug in). If you want a crisper image you need to use your DVI wich is digital (VGA is not as crisp).

Thats wierd that your manual says that. Your HDTV is nothing but a computer monitor.

What you need to do......

1. Buy the imac DVI to DVI adaptor for the back of the computer.

2. Buy a DVI cable that is the lenghth you'll need it to be to get to your HDTV.

3. Buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor for the TV.

Enjoy !!

The mini DVI to DVI adapter is on the way. I have also read a couple of reviews of several Samsung LCD TV models that say the same thing; They couldn't get it to work properly over the HDMI input. One of the reviews said that the only TVs that they'd seen support computer DVI properly were Westinghouse and Sceptre. The adapter should be here soon so I'll see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.