osx 10.4.11 problem

Reaction score
hi im new here, i just got hold of a imac g5 ppc. for peanuts great, except it seems to have some software missing? it only came with the mac and the mouse. no software discs. it boots up fine etc but there is no safari/quicktime etc. when i tried to install safari i got a message : 'there is no default application specified to open the document'

i gather the seller wiped the mac before he sold it, when i click choose application, the folder is empty. when i click system preferences nothing happens? so do i need to get hold of the installation discs and do a fresh install?

thanks, jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Yes you need retail, Black, 10.4 or 10.5 DVD(s).
As an experiment, you should try downloading and installing the 10.4.11 COMBO updater. It replaces lots of files - may the ones you're missing will be in there:
About the Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I dont think I can download the update directly to the mac as there's no safari. I downloaded the mac version on my xp pc and tried to install safari via usb pendrive but kept getting the same error msg.

on the mac I connected the internet and searched for updates and it tells me everything is current. I think i'll have to try and buy the disks from ebay?

thanks, jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.