Ethernet down

Reaction score
The ethernet connection on my somewhat elderly Mac (OS 10.5) has suddenly gone down. I have checked the connections into my router, swapped cable, tried reconnecting via System Prefs->Network, spoken to ISP, all to no avail, so I have no internet/email. I am sending this on my daughter's computer which uses our router wirelessly, no probs with that. I have checked the connection between router and wall socket, can see no probs there. Could anyone possibly help.

Thanks

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What Ip address is the Mac showing for its connection, has it somehow changed to a self assigned address.

Foe example, if your router has the address of 192.168.1.1 and your macs ip adress is not 192.168.1.XXX then you will not get a connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
WEll, if all else fails, and ethernet might be broken, then consider getting a USB wireless dongle to connect over wifi instead

OP
I
Reaction score
Am relieved to report that my problem has been fixed, thanks to Chris at my ISP Bethere. It was to do with some obscure setting in Ethernet diagnostics, no idea what went wrong or why... Anyhow thanks to all who made suggestions.

Michael

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.